which program I should use for a text adventure

Started by
6 comments, last by Snatcher 8 years, 6 months ago

I started looking around for different programs I could use for making a small text adventure game and I found two good programs, Quest and Twine, and I was wondering which one I should use.

Advertisement
I just googled them both and they pretty much seem the same apart from one Quest i think seems to support sound the other i dont know. Look at what they do/dont support and find one that fits your needs best. If you can give them both a try and see which one you prefer
I'd use Quest, if for no other reason than the website actually shows how to use it. Twine seems like an afterthought.

you can use any language.

Hi Snatcher,

Have you considered using a programming language instead? It would give you the ability to build on your efforts from creating this in the future.

I'm currently learning javascript and am working on a text adventure also with some graphics.

Good luck either way and let us know how you get on.

There is also Inform and TADS. You might also want to take a look at a more specialized forum.

Hi Snatcher,

Have you considered using a programming language instead? It would give you the ability to build on your efforts from creating this in the future.
I'm currently learning javascript and am working on a text adventure also with some graphics.
Good luck either way and let us know how you get on.

I've been wanting to make a text adventure game for years. I've been programming for 30 years. Text adventures are easy to write, so long as you don't include a command parser. This is absurdly hard to get right. I've tried and failed. Parsing the individual commands is easy. Applying the parsed commands to grammar rules is not so. If you can find a program that does this for you, use it!

The reason that I am not going to learn a language is that I have a time restriction, because I am doing this for a school project. But I have looked into them more and I think that I will be using Quest, because it supports more things, like sound.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement