GNU ownership, Software - an everywhere epidemic

Started by
48 comments, last by frob 8 years, 6 months ago

Name some software that, has been released in the last 10 years, that is both successful AND 100% open source.

Please do not name anything that started as open source, and than went closed development !

Simply put, closed development has produced a LOT more useful software in *MODERN* times than open source. ( unless you wish to talk about Firefox's core code being used as the backbone of the TOR network ).

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

Not specifically 10 years, but: Wordpress, GIMP, Audacity, Pidgin, Notepad++, Blender, TrueCrypt, CMake just to name a few.
Not mentioning the plethora of smaller programs in the linux sysadmin world.
But feel free to change the meaning of 'successful' :p

Engine, graphics, low-level, security and cross-platform programming. xsngine

I also read "GUN" as "GNU" the first time.

Name some software that, has been released in the last 10 years, that is both successful AND 100% open source
Holy shit.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Name some software that, has been released in the last 10 years, that is both successful AND 100% open source.

Apache, PHP, Python, FreeBSD, OpenSSL, MySQL, SQLite, zlib, libpng, ICU, Ogg Vorbis, XviD, x264. Just to name a few.

These are the backbones of our current technology. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

A version of FreeBSD is basically in every PS 3 & 4. The Linux Kernel is in virtually every Android phone and tablet out there. Apache & PHP run on the majority of the websites on the net.

Without these technologies we would be a decade behind, since even closed source developments like Apple's ecosystem is based on FreeBSD technology, or rely on things like libpng to open pictures.

Simply put, closed development has produced a LOT more useful software in *MODERN* times than open source.

Depends on where you stand. From an end user point of view, commercial software has an incentive to keep things going. From a company point of view, middleware open source has been far more useful.
But hey, don't complain when Skype discloses your private call to the Chinese government.

I totally agree, with all the souls I purchased from republicans.

In addition, I only use free range software, because caged software causes autism. I have registered all of my gluten-free children in gluten-free schools.

I think if we are to achieve perfect productivity, we must remove all of this Jerry Seinfeld propaganda from all of the debuggers.

Something something global warming.

Johnny McCarthy says that security updates will give my LISP machine autism, so I'm going to run all my software unpatched. There's no way that my unpatched software can hurt anybody else, it's my decision.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Simply put, closed development has produced a LOT more useful software in *MODERN* times than open source.

The proportion of developers producing closed source software is far greater than that producing open source software so it would be strange if that was not the case.

Even so, as others have mentioned, open source is all over the place even in commercial products as middleware and embedded stuff.

GNU software kills businesses, so it kills jobs, so it kills people.

Therefore, it must be regulatred.

GNU software kills businesses, so it kills jobs, so it kills people.

Therefore, it must be regulHatred.

Fixed your typo

Apache, PHP, Python, FreeBSD, OpenSSL, MySQL, SQLite, zlib, libpng, ICU, Ogg Vorbis, XviD, x264. Just to name a few.

These are the backbones of our current technology. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Interestingly, none of these are GPL as far as I can see.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Interestingly, none of these are GPL as far as I can see.

Ah ha! So if it's Open Source but not GPL then the likelihood for success is much higher. Interesting. GPL == Failure || GPL == Return 1;

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement