A mod for Skyrim

Started by
6 comments, last by Demiurgic_Amon 8 years, 6 months ago

during my rather long egress from this site, I've very recently created a purely conceptual game mod for TES V: Skyrim. While the mod itself may not actually be created (the game is already 4 years old and by the time I have a team that can make a mod of this scale it might not be too popular anymore), It is at least an interesting concept (interesting enough to make me HOPE it gets made).

the mod in question is a total-conversion mod known as Dhasius: Blades to the Sky. While D:BS builds off the engine of Skyrim, it features somewhat significant changes to the combat, inventory, and magic systems and a higher emphasis on narrative and a plot that actually affects the setting. I'll elaborate on the gameplay a bit later; the immediate paragraph below will be dedicated to the setting.

D:BS's setting is difficult to define on the "high-low/heroic-dark" fantasy axis, though it is a setting in which magic is not uncommon and the technology is advanced to the point of resembling early-renaissance/late medieval technology. What makes my mod unique is the aesthetic: D:BS has a very distinct Balkan vibe to it's setting and landscape. However, this vibe is composed of a combination of Paleo-Balkan, Medieval Balkan/Medieval Slavic, 1300-1400 Russian, and renaissance central European/Austrian/Balkan/Ottoman cultural aesthetics. The game world is about the size of TES IV: Oblivion's though it has about as much content as Skyrim. Magic in the game is handled very uniquely compared to to other games: Magic in this setting is used exclusively from an enchanted object known as a medium (like an amulet or a ring); people focus their thoughts or emotions while in contact or proximity to a medium in order to use magic. As a result, anyone in this setting can use magic. in addition, there are no supernatural creatures in this game (there are magic constructs, which aren't truly alive and are analogous to robots, however).

For the gameplay, there come significant changes to the combat, inventory, and magic systems with the addition of a new system: Memory.

COMBAT: combat in D:BS is similar to Skyrim's only in terms of engine; for the most part it builds off of Skyrim's system, though there are significant differences, including:

• Damage types: there are 4 predominant types of weapon damage (slash, strike, pierce, firearm), and 6 primary types of magic damage (heat, spark, force, life, abyss, void, arcane), though the reverse system with magic results in 12 total magic damage types. each weapon or spell may deal one or more of these damage types, and armor may be weak to or resist any of these types.
  • light and heavy attacks: unlike Skyrim, there are two different keys used for attacking: light, which deal lower damage, but actually builds adrenaline when used and can be used repeatedly, and heavy, which deal more damage and can be charged, but lower adrenaline.
  • counterattacks: by preforming a shield bash or an attack at a predetermined time while aimed at a certain part of an opponent's body will result in a counterattack, which forces an opponent away from the player character or deals heavy damage. counterattacks can only be performed in front of the player while in first-person mode, but are easier to perform. while in third person, counterattacks can be performed in any direction.
  • camera perspective: the mod actually changes the combat capabilities available to the player dependent on when they are currently using first or third-person camera. first person allows for the precision targeting of weakpoints, and third person allows for more spatial awareness and more options when it comes to turning attacks.

MAGIC: as mentioned above, Magic in D:BS is tied directly to equipment. an amulet or ring enchanted with a particular element or school of magic allows player characters to access that element or school. In addition, spells and magic are separated in the sense that a spell takes on the element of the currently equipped medium;, though one still needs a medium to cast a spell at all; spells are merely attack patterns and their properties are dependent on the medium.

INVENTORY: the inventory system has been massively overhauled. players can only equip one item to a particular slot at once and cannot carry any more equipment beyond what is already equipped; the player must go to a storage to change equipment. items are also greatly limited in carry capacity as well.

MEMORY: the new system replaces the expansive inventories found in the Elder Scrolls series, though instead of storing equipment and items, memory stores weapon techniques and magic spells. going into the memory menu will allow players to change spells and weapon stances.

ADRENALINE: forsaking a standard Mana/Stamina System, D:BS features an adrenaline system used for both melee combat and magic. adrenaline builds as players use light attacks from either weapons or magic and then can be spent to execute more powerful attacks.

Story: D:BS takes place in a world known as Ourinys, and takes place on a continent equivalent to Europe (the exact area is, rather obviously based off Eastern Europe). the plot itself is about a settler (the player character) in a Balkan-like region who is caught in a town when it is attacked by a surprisingly organized band of marauding criminals. During the raid, the settler manages to kill one of the bandits and discovers that the raid was plotted in response two a large empire (one that is based off the Ottoman empire, which ruled the real Balkans during the renaissance) transporting goods through that town as part of a proxy war organized by a Catholic Church-like entity against all not under it's control; the church is also revealed to have organized the raid with the help of a massive criminal conspiracy headed by a mysterious individual known as the "Bandit King".

So, what do you think? It's still in the very early stages of planning (I literally just created it this morning), though I've heard from a few people that the world and gameplay are very thought out for this point.

Advertisement

It sounds interesting! The magic system appeals, as does the idea of the viewpoint affecting game play and the plot affecting the setting. Of course, from what you've said, it would take a massive amount of effort to create and Skyrim is getting old. But having said that, a mod like this can sometimes bring an older game back to life.

What about the magic system appeals to you?

Also, what do you think of the setting? (it's difficult to find a fantasy setting these days that doesn't rip off Lord Of The Rings).

Plus, I seriously think this could be my first "game" project following a few RPG Maker games that I make just for the experience.

Finally, I'll post some more detailed information if anyone thinks there is a lack of that.

The magic is interesting just because it happens through objects as a channel. It adds an extra dimension. And yes, anything different from the standard LotR setting is good for fantasy! The Elder Scrolls series already goes some way in this direction, but it's good to keep it fresh. The Slavic angle itself doesn't particularly mean anything special to me, but I'm sure there's a lot of rich history there on which you can draw.

I think the idea is nicely elaborated and the little I read of the story catches my attention.

Since is a Skyrim mode, I will assume it's single player.

At this level of abstraction it seems fairly sound. I like the availability of both 1st and 3rd person cameras.

Be careful that if magic is tied to objects then selling the wrong object will have even greater consequences. Many games have been broken already by dropping/selling key objects. Make sure to prevent this!

Previously "Krohm"

Why a skyrim mod? You changed almost anything, and you say that skyrim might not be very popular in a few years, so what's the point to think to a skyrim mod?

Resizing a bit the scope and make your game would not be better? At least it will be a better way to fail and die!

Edit: about the -1, maybe my last sentence has been misanderstood. It has a heroic-valhallesque sense, it's an exhortation, not a mockery.

Why a skyrim mod? You changed almost anything, and you say that skyrim might not be very popular in a few years, so what's the point to think to a skyrim mod?

Resizing a bit the scope and make your game would not be better? At least it will be a better way to fail and die!

Edit: about the -1, maybe my last sentence has been misanderstood. It has a heroic-valhallesque sense, it's an exhortation, not a mockery.

I get that.

Well, the point to a Skyrim mod is that the infrastructure for all the edits I/my team can make will already be there. Plus, I/my team won't have to mess around with the engine itself too much and I/we'll be able to accomplish something of a much greater scale than just licensing an engine and programming that.

Well, what do you think of the project aside from that?

Some more information about the game's world:

The area the mod takes place in is known as the "Dhasius peninsula" after a mythological tribe said to be the origin of all the ethnic groups living in that area by the time the game takes place. the peninsula has a similar climate to the Balkans, and, barring some more fantastical additions, a similar biosphere.

the principle Ethnic groups (all of which are playable, though what race you choose doesn't affect your stats) are:

Illyrie: tribal peoples who live to the northwest of the peninsula (the area that is depicted in game is the far south of their territory). The naming scheme that is used for them is a combination of reconstructed Illyrian, modern Albanian, and Gheg Albanian.

Zdravs: a people who hail from a great kingdom that has close diplomatic ties to an empire that technically rules the entire peninsula. their naming scheme is a combination of Serbian, Croatian, and Montenegrin, a trait shared with the Darikians, their rivals.

Darikians: a people who hail from a technologically-advanced nation that has close diplomatic ties to an empire that technically rules the peninsula. their naming scheme is a combination of Serbian, Croatian, and Montenegrin, a trait shared with the Zdravs, their rivals.

Vampyriy: a nominally migratory people who live to the southeast of the peninsula. their naming scheme is based in Romanian

Ha'rhadrim: a people who rule a vast empire that claims the entire peninsula as territory (through diplomatic allegiance and trade). the naming scheme used for them is a combination of Turkish, Arabic, Armenian, Afghan, and Middle-Persian.

Northmanne: a people who hail from an island to the far west of the peninsula. the naming scheme used for them is a combination of Scottish, Irish, and Welsh.

Eastemanne: a people who live in the middle of the continent, above the peninsula. their naming scheme is a combination of modern and old German, Czech, and Russian.

Settlers: the Peninsula has recently experienced a massive wave of homesteading as a result of both economic growth and mass immigration. the Ha'rhadri empire claims the entire peninsula as territory, though it did not conquer the region and only controls a small portion of the southeastern end; most of the peninsula is controlled by allies of the empire; there have been migrations of Ha'rhadri into the peninsula as part of this alliance. but, the most immigrants to the region are large numbers of Northmanne and Eastemanne fleeing the oppression of the church kingdoms, though most of the settlers are in fact Dhasius natives themselves. the economic growth of the peninsula's tribes and kingdoms can be attributed to the alliance with the Ha'rhadri empire and the exchange of technology that happened as a result, and people have taken to settling the wilderness on-between the isolated cities as a result of crowding and overpopulation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement