ASCII Fishtank (Fisharium) Update

Started by
1 comment, last by Kouen 8 years, 5 months ago
Hello GameDev people. Since this project started from a thread here, I thought I'd mention the update here. smile.png
Waaaay back in 2002, I entered GameDev.net's ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest, and had a lot of fun with it by putting in a bunch of extra modes and cute touches, like a black-and-white postprocessing (lol) filter, including ASCII dirt and scratches. Since stuff-in-a-browser is more convenient than downloading an EXE (particularly for a software toy like this), I'd thought about porting it to Java or something. This year, though, em-dosbox was released, so I ported it to that instead. (Changed Windows calls to pdcurses calls) Anyway, as well as getting it to run in the browser, I added two display modes, several pieces of decor, one torment mode, and even a game mode inspired by Crossy Road. (Floaty Fish!)
Here's Fisharium v1.1! I had trouble getting 50-line mode working in em-dosbox, so I added a 25-line mode.
PS: After searching, I notice there was another ASCII Fishtank Contest here in 2011, but I missed it. Oh well.
fish000.png
Advertisement

Cool game, found it when I was thinking of a name for my game (lol we thought of a same name). Hopefully you won't mind if our games have a same name :D

Sure, there's only so many names to go around. Thanks for checking it out. smile.png
(And thanks to whoever moved the topic. I'd put it in Lounge since that's where the contests were held. cool.png)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement