The thin line between Software M$ OGL and Hardware OGL

Started by
6 comments, last by Ak37 22 years, 5 months ago
What the hell is the diffrence ?? Sometimes my program just drops to that slow Software M$ OpenGL instead of running 3Dfx OpenGL (I use a Voodoo3 2000 with X3dfx Driver). What are the settings I should use to make sure that my program runs Hardware OpenGL and doesn''t drop to that crappy Slow Software M$ OpenGL ? Because I could just drop to software rendering if I add one line of code or if I call the window creation procedure (starting Select PFD to wglMakeCurrent) not from the ususal place in the code. Is there any connection with PFD and or WindowStyle. Oh yeah, I''m trying to make a fullscreen window (strangely, all my windowed OGL program always drops to software rendering). I''m using Borland Delphi 5. Thanks
Help me with my Isometric OpenGL engine.
Advertisement
> strangely, all my windowed OGL program always drops to software rendering

This is not strange, that''s the way Vaudoo cards work. There is no hardware acceleration in windowed mode. Time to get a new card

Y.
> This is not strange, that''s the way Vaudoo cards work. There is no hardware acceleration in windowed mode. Time to get a new card

blahblah.

Of course Voodoo3 cards have accelerated 3D in windowed mode. V1 and V2 did not because they were *addon cards*. V3,4&5 are just standard 2D/3D gfx cards.

But the V3 only supports 16bit mode, so if your desktop is 32bit, then you won''t get acceleration in a window.

- AH
Now here is the thing that is very very cryptic ::

My desktop resolution is 16 bit
I set my Pixel Format Descriptor''s cColorBits to 16
And I''ve called ChangeDisplaySettings with dmBitsPerPixel set to 16

Is there anything that I should take an eye of, this is very very cryptic (getting evan stranger because the software renderer starts to display at a bpp higher than 16, the texture looks smooth and its extreemeeely slow).

Please, I really need help on this
At last I got my Hardware Acceleration back...

Adding PFD_SUPPORT_GDI in the PFD and calling SetWindowPos to resize the window until the size is the same as the screen resolution.

But the strange thing is why I should add PFD_SUPPORT_GDI ? No NEHE tutorial use this to make their program fullscreen and hardware accelerated. I''m not concidering my problem done yet, because it''s still a cryptic thing. I really need some explanation...
quote:Original post by Ak37
No NEHE tutorial use this to make their program fullscreen and hardware accelerated.

tutorials are not always right... better do stuffs and trust sometimes only yourself
quote:
But the strange thing is why I should add PFD_SUPPORT_GDI ? No NEHE tutorial use this to make their program fullscreen and hardware accelerated. I''m not concidering my problem done yet, because it''s still a cryptic thing. I really need some explanation...

It''s Windows. Don''t waste your time thinking about it, if it works then use it. If your doing Windows programming you should forget about using your brain too much

- AH
actually its the voodoo drivers. Voodoo3 was the transition card (along with voodoo banshee) for 3dfx towards the 2d/3d card market. Thus terrible support for opengl. I have never had any problems on my systems with such things. Its funny how quick ppl blame the os when its windows. heh. ignorence breeding stupidity again.

- groof

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement