Humbly asking for advice

Started by
5 comments, last by Gsuskrist 8 years, 6 months ago

So I'm a guy with a business profile that is looking for human capital to start a gaming studio.

My question is where would be the best place to look for and approach people with my idea?

Kind regards.

Advertisement

The classifieds section of this very website would be a good place to start :)

Check out my dev blog here :) https://jaythedanielsdev.wordpress.com/

As a hint, I wouldn't refer to them as human captial either... it's a bit dehumanizing. ;)

My question is where would be the best place to look for and approach people with my idea?

So, you're a "guy with an idea" who wants to recruit some employees to build your vision. Here are some questions you may want to answer in your actual recruitment posting, when you make it:
- What role were you planning to take in your game's development?
- How much experience do you have with game development in general?
- What is your goal with putting together a game studio? Do you want to make a specific game, multiple games, or simply make money?

As a hint, I wouldn't refer to them as human captial either... it's a bit dehumanizing. ;)

Indeed. I suggest "talent" as a more acceptable term. On the other hand, perhaps it's in prospective employees' interest that OP continue to use the term. I'm not sure I'd really want to work for a startup boss who referred to me as "human capital."
To add to what's been said before. You wrote "where would be the best place to look for and approach people with my idea?" Don't. Don't try to hire people based on a game idea. Hire them based on a business idea.
People aren't going to be as excited about your game idea as you are.
People who take a job are more likely to find it of interest if the job looks like it could last a while (meaning, longer than one game project).
People are more likely to find a job offer of interest if the business owner appears to know what he's doing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To add to what's been said before. You wrote "where would be the best place to look for and approach people with my idea?" Don't. Don't try to hire people based on a game idea. Hire them based on a business idea.People aren't going to be as excited about your game idea as you are.People who take a job are more likely to find it of interest if the job looks like it could last a while (meaning, longer than one game project).People are more likely to find a job offer of interest if the business owner appears to know what he's doing.

And the ones that are excited otherwise is because theyve found a new whale. Be wary of contract sites lie fivvr or similar rent a coder places, you will be bled of resources.

Thank you guys for all the feedback.

I will be more cautious next time in describing the wonderful people that would potentially help me realize my goals.
I'm looking to take care of the business side of things ( Funding and keeping things running ).

I will take your advice and try to find people that share my vision for the company rather than finding people that support my first project!

Thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement