I'm having some trouble getting started on a project.

Started by
4 comments, last by drynyn 8 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone,

I have some programming experience ( I know this will take a while and I also know that I should be learning, which is one of the points of this lol)

I have a project I want to start working on but have no idea how to start or even where. I want to create an open world game, I have a few friends that will be helping me with some things as well. So to better help you answer my question here are a few things that I think would help.

I want it to be open world

Multiple choice kind of world (decision based)

multiple vehicles

multiple weapons

multiple creatures/characters

ect. ect.

So my main questions would be can I just start designing my objects and add scripts to them later? I can design things pretty well, its adding the scripts to the items I am confused about. I would like to learn c#, it seems like it is one of the main languages being used in something like this.

I have downloaded Unity, I used to use blender to create objects. I am going through the tutorials of unity right now but would I be better off creating my creatures and vehicles in a different program then importing them? If you have a recommendation for another program please don't hesitate to tell me.

I would appreciate any help that can be given and I'm sorry if some of this makes no sense, please ask me and I will clarify.

Advertisement

I think it's important to make sure that you're not biting off more than you can chew in this project. Do you or your friends have any experience making games? If so, what was the scale of those games and are you comfortable taking on this ambitious of a project given your experience?

Since you posted this in the "For Beginners" section of the forum, I am going to assume that you don't have much experience making games or, at least, 3D RPGs. It is never a good idea to work on a big project with little to no experience in the field. As a result, I cannot, in good conscience, advise you to work on a project with this scale. I have personal experience working on an overly-ambitious project, and it's frustrating. There were days where I felt like I made zero progress and days where I would come across a bug with no idea how to fix it either because I didn't understand the error or what was causing it. The game that I envisioned and what I was capable of accomplishing were two entirely different things, so I was forced to abandon my project altogether.

I recommend you and your team work on a smaller projects to build your way up to this idea. Start with a small game that's easy to manage (like the original Mario Bros) and build your way up. When you start a new project add more complexity and make the scale a bit bigger, but not out of reach. Once you feel more confident about game design and have a better grasp on the game development process, you could come back to this project.

I hope this helps!

Need help getting started as a game developer? Check out my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq417Slwr-Qt8hN-gemJS0w?&ab_channel=HowtoMakeGames

It does help, I have been trying but the thing is I have no idea where to get started. I have read multiple articles and keep finding programs that automatically input code and all that for you. I need a detailed tutorial from start to finish on how to create sprites and all that then add scripting to it. Its frustrating really because I want to learn and can't find a teacher. So if anyone can link me to something that has a definite start and end point for making any kind of game from scratch I would really appreciate it.

There are some really good tutorials for both C# and using Unity on the YouTube channel: Brackeys. I recommend checking out his Pong and How to Make a Game tutorials. These teach the more technical aspects of game development, which will help you get started. There also some informative tutorials on Unity's website.

As for designing sprites, I recommend learning how to use gimp. It's software used to create pixel art. I don't know of any good tutorials off-hand, but just be sure to practice and keep trying.

Also, if you are more comfortable coding by hand opposed to the drag-and-drop style that GameMaker has, keep using Unity. Personally, I have found that being able to type the code out has more flexibility.

Need help getting started as a game developer? Check out my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq417Slwr-Qt8hN-gemJS0w?&ab_channel=HowtoMakeGames

Yeah I would much rather type the code myself, then I know what I put in and know where I put it (most of the time).

My friend is actually really good with sprites and uses gimp a lot so he will probably have to teach me how to do that. Okay so I will check out those tutorials tomorrow night and hopefully they help me out. thank you!

What got me started was this course: https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

It isn't cheap (I got it through kickstarter) but if you keep an eye out it will be on sale sooner or later. They are constantly adding to it, updating etc. Really quite good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement