GLSL Error C1502 (Nvidia): "index must be constant expression"

Started by
13 comments, last by Matias Goldberg 8 years, 6 months ago

I have a uniform block in my shader, which I'm accessing within a loop:

#version 330 core

const int MAX_LIGHTS = 8; // Maximum amount of lights
uniform int numLights; // Actual amount of lights (Cannot exceed MAX_LIGHTS)
layout (std140) uniform LightSourceBlock
{
    vec3 position;
    [...]
} LightSources[MAX_LIGHTS]; // Light Data

void Test()
{
    for(int i=0;i<numLights;i++)
    {
        vec3 pos = LightSources[i].position; // Causes "index must be constant expression" error on Nvidia cards
        [...]
    }
}

This works fine on my AMD card, however on a Nvidia card it generates the error "index must be constant expression".

I've tried changing the shader to this:

#version 330 core

const int MAX_LIGHTS = 8; // Maximum amount of lights
uniform int numLights; // Actual amount of lights (Cannot exceed MAX_LIGHTS)
{
    vec3 position;
    [...]
} LightSources[MAX_LIGHTS]; // Light Data

void Test()
{
    for(int i=0;i<MAX_LIGHTS;i++)
    {
        if(i >= numLights)
        	break;
        vec3 pos = LightSources[i].position; // Causes "index must be constant expression" error on Nvidia cards
        [...]
    }
}

I figured this way it might consider "i" to be a constant, but the error remains.

So how can I access "LightSources" with a non-const index, without having to break up the loop and just pasting the same code below each other a bunch of times?

Advertisement

You could try moving to a higher #version number. Version 330 is for cards that are 5 years old, some of which probably can't perform uniform array indexing.
D3D/HLSL will compile that code, but the actual runtime asm might be equivalent to the following (which is shit, so a compiler error may be better tongue.png)

void Test()
{
    for(int i=0;i<numLights;i++)
    {
        vec3 pos;
        if(i==0) pos = LightSources[0].position;
        else if(i==1) pos = LightSources[1].position;
        else if(i==2) pos = LightSources[2].position;
        //and so on...
        [...]
    }
}

To avoid such shenanigans on old GPUs, store your arrays in a texture or buffer (aka "texture buffer" in GL jargon, not a "uniform buffer") and fetch the values from them.

Are you absolutely certain that line is causing the problem and not some other line? I did a quick search and found this post on StackOverflow which seems to suggest your initial usage is okay (which is also what I would have said before checking).
From experience I would be a bit surprised to learn an AMD driver accepts something it should not according to the standard but an Nvidia driver complains. Have you tried running it through the reference compiler?
You could try moving to a higher #version number.

This.

See here: https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Interface_Block_%28GLSL%29

For uniform and shader storage blocks, the array index must be a dynamically-uniform integral expression.

[...]

If an expression is said to be dynamically uniform, and you're not using GLSL 4.00 or above, this should be read as "constant expression". Only 4.00-class hardware and greater is able to make this distinction.

So basically, you need #version 400 or higher for this to work.

To avoid such shenanigans on old GPUs, store your arrays in a texture or buffer (aka "texture buffer" in GL jargon, not a "uniform buffer") and fetch the values from them.

Hm... My uniform block contains both integer and float data, I suppose I'd have to add the integers as floats, and then cast them back in the shader? Couldn't that result in imprecision errors? (Although I suppose I could just round the value to be sure)

Have you tried running it through the reference compiler?

I didn't realize there was such a thing.

Well, I tried running my example through the glslangValidator and no errors were generated.

It should compile on NVIDIA (as the compiler should unroll the loop).

And your code is extremely simple to be thinking of GL430 hardware usage or using workarounds.

A couple remarks:
1. Change MAX_LIGHTS from const int to a #define. Many GLSL compilers out there are waaaay too buggy to rely on them properly treating a const int as a non-dynamic value. Define macros are much better because they get converted to integer literals.

2. This code:
{
    vec3 position;
    [...]
} LightSources[MAX_LIGHTS];
Uses 1 constant buffer per array element. For a total of MAX_LIGHTS constant buffers. That's insane!
Use this instead:
struct LightSource
{
    vec3 position;
    [...]
};

{
    LightSource lights[MAX_LIGHTS];
} LightSources;

//Index like this: LightSources.lights[i]
This uses one constant buffer and places all lights in that single buffer. That's way more efficient, more compatible, and the method everyone uses.

This overlaps with what Matias said, but is from a bit different perspective, and I'm not someone with too much actual in-depth knowledge, but here goes anyway:

The array of blocks syntax creates several blocks, with separate binding points for each, and each of them can be backed by a completely different buffer. My intuition says indexing blocks is therefore possibly implemented very differently than indexing within a block, where arrays are actually laid sequentially in memory.

On second thought, on cards where the blocks are only 16kb at most or something similarly small, the data could be copied around in the GPU when glBindBufferRange or glBindBufferBase is called so that they end up being laid out in an array for the shader to access, but there doesn't seem to be any guarantee for that to be case.

I also just tried a very simple vertex shader with an array block, and the program crashes at shader linking in a way that hints the cause might be outside my code. The code has so far worked well in other (simple test) cases and the reference compiler has no complaints about the shader, but of course there's still a chance it's a bug in my code. (In any case, I'm running on an oldish Radeon card on Linux with the free drivers, so knowledge of this potential bug may not be very relevant to you.)

y uniform block contains both integer and float data, I suppose I'd have to add the integers as floats, and then cast them back in the shader?

v330 introduced the intBitsToFloat/floatBitsToInt functions, which allow bitwise/reinterpret casts. You can use a 32bit int buffer and then reinterpret it's elements as floats as required.

lol yeah, I remember when I got this issue (same GLSL version, nVidia hardware), apparently "const int" isn't constant enough for nVidia :D As Mathias said, a #define works fine in this case.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

lol yeah, I remember when I got this issue (same GLSL version, nVidia hardware), apparently "const int" isn't constant enough for nVidia biggrin.png As Mathias said, a #define works fine in this case.

Thanks, sadly the same error still occurs.

Changing the version to "#version 420 core" also didn't help.

y uniform block contains both integer and float data, I suppose I'd have to add the integers as floats, and then cast them back in the shader?

v330 introduced the intBitsToFloat/floatBitsToInt functions, which allow bitwise/reinterpret casts. You can use a 32bit int buffer and then reinterpret it's elements as floats as required.

Are buffer texture lookups as expensive as regular texture lookups? I have 12 variables(=512 bytes) per light, and since the data types differ (int,float,vec3,mat3,...) I suppose GL_R32I makes the most sense for the texture format? However, that would result in a lot of lookups.

Also, I've noticed that texelFetch returns a 4-component vector. So, if I have a 1-component texture format, would that give me the data of 4 texels?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement