Sign in to follow this  
Abdou23

Unity Corona sdk vs Marmalade vs Unity?

Abdou23    212

I have just finished my first game using SpriteKit and about to release it, but I'm looking for another 2D game engine that can export to both ios & android, plus I don't like SpriteKit all that much. I did some research and found out that both Corona and Marmalade uses lua which is supposed to be a very easy language to pick-up, also unity2d seems to be the most powerful engine out there but from what I read it's not the best when it comes to 2D plus it has some issues regarding performance or Monodevelop. So if someone can recommend me one of those engines it would be much appreciated.

PKLoki    1492

Unity is free so you might as well try it out. I haven't had any trouble with its 2D capabilities, or performance, and it's a very capable engine that will take you far beyond 2D if you wish. You don't need to use Monodevelop, Visual Studio will work too.

bigrug    101

Marmalade Quick has very good support for 2D using Lua - it's also free wink.png.

Here's a couple of games made with Marmalade Quick:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snazzlebot.coinsandstuff

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snazzlebot.dreamcandyplanet

These guys used Marmalade's cross-platform support to release on iOS, Android and Windows Phone (all included in the free SDK).

If you want to use C++ rather than Lua then Marmalade Core also has great 2D support.

Splot (http://www.splotgame.com) from Frozenbyte (the guys who make Trine) is a great example of what can be achieved using Marmalade Core for 2D games.

2D Kit is a recent addition to Marmalade, designed to make creating 2D games with either Quick/Lua or Core/C++ easier. 

[ Disclosure - I work for Marmalade smile.png ]

Edited by bigrug

Brain    18906

Just to add, you can also make 2D games using UE4.

Sure you can. I've recently become quite an advocate of UE4, however I don't think this is sound advice. Yes, you can make 2D games in UE4 and you can also measure the distance between earth and Mars with a 30cm ruler. Just because you can, it doesn't make it sensible or efficient to do so... My 2 cents are now inserted. 

HyperV    1719

Hi,

Try all of them, look whats best for you and what saves time for you.

Also look for whats easier for you. The above tools that are mentioned by others uses different languages (as mentioned by them).

Hope this helps,

HyperV

Syntac_    1355

Just to add, you can also make 2D games using UE4.

Sure you can. I've recently become quite an advocate of UE4, however I don't think this is sound advice. Yes, you can make 2D games in UE4 and you can also measure the distance between earth and Mars with a 30cm ruler. Just because you can, it doesn't make it sensible or efficient to do so... My 2 cents are now inserted. 

I don't believe I ever advised the use of it. As it wasn't mentioned it's very possible that the OP had not considered it as an option for 2D games.

Abdou23    212

Thank you guys, i really appreciate everyone's input. I did some research and indeed found that unity has a large community with a huge asset store and lots of online tutorials that covers almost every aspect, Corona on the other hand is very simple and its simulator is fantastic ( I actually downloaded it) but  the lack of a proper IDE make it a turn off, and also there are not a lot of resources for it. I think I will download unity and start playing with it and see how things will go from there. My problem with unity (unreal or any of those big engines) at first was that I have no intention of making 3D games (at least for now) and I also didn't want my working environment to be fiddled with lots of stuff i will never going to use like lightning, shaders, and those other 3D elements.