• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Louwin

OpenGL Need advice getting into shadow mapping (OpenGL)

This topic is 1119 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently started geting into opengl and scene rendering. While i managed to get simple shadow mapping going im stuck at doing pretty much anything more advanced than that. There are so many different algorithms out there, and pretty much all come with a vague description that someone as inexperienced as me has a hard time to do anything with. Which argorithm(s) for (hard) shadow mapping should i start with getting into, and does anyone know any good in-depth tutorials that can be understood by someone rather inexperiences so i can build up a basic understanding of the algorithms? Nearly all tutorials i found were either extremely vague, or only showed code without proper explaination which worked but didnt explain how.

Recently i've been struggling with cascaded shadow mapping in particular, which seems to be an extremely interesting algorithm, but i have yet to find a tutorial that explains everything every step along the way. (If you happen to know one i'd be much appreciated if you could share it, for either CMS or any interesting algorithm behind the very basic shadow mapping)

So far i've only been working in a c++ environment with opengl and glm, so if the tutorials are compatable with that, that would be a huge plus!

Advertisement

I will suggest apply cascaded shadow mapping only for you directional light. Because normally you will define the radius for another kinds of light, but for directional light, it will affect the whole scene, so you may need different resolution of shadow maps for each objects.

You have to just get the basic shadow map implemented. Everything else is just some type of filtering on that shadow map or combining other shadow maps across a scene.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!