• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Makak

Game Engine Editor

This topic is 1008 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been wanted to create a game-engine for some time now and I have recently started this project, my problem is now that I can't find any free for commercial-use GUI SDK's for Win32. I looked at Qt, which is only free for 30 days. I want it to be free for commercial-use if I someday reach a state where I would like to publish it.

What is a good Win32/C++ UI SDK?

Advertisement
Is there any particular reason you have your heart set on C++? It's quite common to use C# for game engine tools while the game itself is written in C++. WinForms is both free and quite straightforward.

I have been wanted to create a game-engine for some time now and I have recently started this project, my problem is now that I can't find any free for commercial-use GUI SDK's for Win32. I looked at Qt, which is only free for 30 days. I want it to be free for commercial-use if I someday reach a state where I would like to publish it.

What is a good Win32/C++ UI SDK?

Other than Qt, there aren't a lot of good UI sdks for C++.

If you don't mind using C#, take a look at Sony's AFS

I think working on an engine along with its editor makes much more sense than creating an editor as an afterthought.

For example, Maya can be the editor of the game, it has enough sense to be used a lot like that.

One option could be to have one big base and use this base for each game editor.

Doing one good editor takes monster time if you want it artist friendly.

Edited by Alundra

I think working on an engine along with its editor makes much more sense than creating an editor as an afterthought.

For example, Maya can be the editor of the game, it has enough sense to be used a lot like that.

One option could be to have one big base and use this base for each game editor.

Doing one good editor takes monster time if you want it artist friendly.

Yes, some game studios use Maya as a level editor, including some well known titles. I've become aware of that after noticing most of the customers who bought my Maya plug-in (in my sig) are game studios. But using Maya as an editor for an engine limits the target audience of the engine, though the target audience often happens to be co-workers when it's an in-house engine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!