Sign in to follow this  
Montaron

Best engine for my project.

Montaron    101

Hi.

I wan't to create a game like the old DESERT STRIKE SERIES (see youtube)

The question is, I'm no programmer, and no coder.

Yes I know it can sound strange but due to the ease of everything that is allowing ordinary people to create nowadays I would like to know if there is a engine with basically everything already done, like models, animations AI, and all.

I know good engines that would be perfect for my purspose like GEM2 by DMS company, but I don't think they sell licenses. Their games already have almost all models, animations and AI I want.

So this is more a curiosity question than a real proposal.

Is there such a thing on the market? Maybe a game about modern combat that sells licenses for using the engine and stuff from it.

Repeating, Im no coder, I just have a lot of time and willing to do.

Edited by Montaron

j_uk_dev    906

Desert Strike series are lot of games, but I believe you mean very first ones with isometric/top down view. It so happens, I have built prototype of such game in Unity once. It took just few days, later I got bit bored (and it was my attempt to "befriend" with Unity, but failed). Anyway, if you want to use thirdparty tech, I find Unity the right one for the job. Below there's screen what I've done, nothing fancy, as I say - it was just a prototype to make a helicopter motion working, add proper aiming system and few other things.

rqytjs.jpg

2uqcb2u.jpg

So yeah, Unity will be just fine to remake ( or reimagine ;) ) Desert Strike :)

Alundra    2316
For most other bigger engines programming is a must

Unreal allows to make full game without one line of c++ using blueprints, I did multiple games like that, it's good for little games.

Edited by Alundra

Brain    18906

For most other bigger engines programming is a must

Unreal allows to make full game without one line of c++ using blueprints, I did multiple games like that, it's good for little games.

Don't be fooled - blueprints is still programming and you still need to understand various maths concepts such as vectors, matrices etc. You also need to understand the concepts of programming such as loops, variables, branching etc.

They're just represented differently... 

Alundra    2316

It's programming but it's really completely differently seen by users, I know lot of artists who did blueprints after a little time to learn it.

The only important thing to understand is blueprint is far to be powerful like c++ is and will never have the same perf.

You can easily learn by tutorial stuff you need, you can't know everything, no one can.

Edited by Alundra

Onpolyx    110

Creating a game without writing a single line of code does't seem that likely... Like BrainDigitals mentioned, you've got Game Maker that allowes you to create simple games without writing code but it's still the same math and let's be honest...it's only good if you want something like a Super Mario clone...

UDK and Unity allowes you do alot without having to code, using things like Kismet in the UDK.. but like mentioned above it's still the same math and thoughprocess that has to be appplied.

Perhpas Unity would best suit your needs? Just download the free version and start playing around with it...there's some great beginner tutorials on youtube and all over google, and when you find youself willing, try out some beginner tutorials in Unity scripting...
Yeah it's coding..but it can be made really simple aslong as you're not trying to create the next BattleField or something. If you really want to create your own game or work within the industry I would say that atleast a basic understanding of programming is required. Even a fulltime texture artists is excpeted to know what an if-statement is.