Making the switch from java

Started by
9 comments, last by Kayhen 8 years, 5 months ago

I would first like to introduce myself in order to give you guys a little insight so without further ado: as a kid I always wanted to be a game developer however as I grew up I always started playing less and less videogames and by the end of highschool I despised the thought of sitting behind a computer all day staring at some crazy language. Well two years later I had my first programming course (I 'm studying engineering) and it turned out that I was actually really good at it I could even keep up with the guys that had a lot of experience ( note that it was only blueJ so that doesn't really say much). Now one year after that we're being thought how to program in java using eclipse and again I'm surprisingly good at it (compared to my other classes at least) not only that but I actually enjoy myself while programming. So I did some research trying to revisit an old passion.

However I quickly found out that most games are programmed in python or C++ now I was wondering if any of you guys know a good tutorial to help me switch between java and one of these languages ( and help me decide which one to use). Because I can only seem to find tutorials aimed at complete beginners and they're kind of slow.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

For Python, you can read the Python Tutorial at docs.python.org, which is aimed at programmers that want to learn the language, but know about loops, variables, and classes/functions.

I learned C++ by reading the Stroustrup book, but that's quite old school.

You can also consider C# as alternative. I don't know the language, but it's a little closer to Java than C++.

I would suggest C# as well and maybe XNA/MonoGame. Similar to Java and there's plenty of material on it.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You can also use Java for games. Minecraft was written in Java.

If you want to use C++ read the reference.
Yeah but I heard most people don't use java so if I ever want to cooperate with other developers it would probably be useful to know other languages as well right?

By the way thanks for the quick responses and sorry if my english isn't perfect.

Yeah but Iheard most people don't use java

Java is widely used in general and there are games made with it too.
Since you have been learning it anyway why not take a look at LibGDX.

it would probably be useful to know other languages as well right?

Definitely, if you want to make a career in programming. But you have to start somewhere first!
Ok I'll do that. I have to say this is by far the most helpful internet community i've ever seen

Java is a good general purpose language, and one can make games just using the libraries that come as standard, such as AWT and Swing. If you need more "fire power" from the GPU then go with an API such as LWJGL. Java also handles garbage collection and strings for you, which is quite nice for someone starting out...

That said, I am making a game for the Raspberry Pi using C++ and SDL1.2. To get up to speed with SDL I bought a copy of "The Black Art of Multiplatform Game Programming" by Jazon Yamamoto. The wonderful thing about this book is that Jazon presents the code examples in a beginner-friendly way, which is very nice. If you intend to go the C++ way then I would recommend it as a starting point. However, I do recommending learning a little C++ first - at least know what pointers and classes are before jumping into anything else.

Anyway, best of luck on your development travels!

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

It all depends why you want to learn another language. Learning C++ because you want to improve your coding skills or because you want to get a job as a professional AAA games coder then fair enough.
However if you just want to make games as an indie or hobby project then stick with what you know. It sounds like you are already doing well with Java so just use that. You can use a games engine like libGDX and start programming multi platform games straight away. Or you can write Android apps and games without any engine in Java.

As well as Minecraft the original version of Runescape was also written in Java (think they changed to Unity for the latest version).
Also I have several contacts who work at King, Mindcandy, Wooga and Zinga who are all Java coders, so even in some big games companies are using Java.

Even if you plan to eventually become a AAA console developer you could still consider weather you should learn to make games first or if you should learn C++ first. I would at least consider the first option. You already know Java so you already have the skill needed to write a game. Once you have done this you could learn C++ by applying what you did to write your Java game in C++.

I'll start with libgdx then thanks for all the help.

On a side note is there a lot of documentation for moving from the bussiness application side to the video game development side of java?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement