How to create art like this?

Started by
8 comments, last by Kryzon 8 years, 5 months ago
I am pretty sure this would be done by rendering a 3D model and applying some shader like a cel shader is this correct?

http://image-gj.9game.com/2014/12/6/9168951_.png
Advertisement
Personally, I suspect that was done the old fashioned way. For a static still like that, drawing and painting by hand would probably be the easiest.

The character looks painted, the rifle could be a 3d model though.

Indeed, it looks hand painted to me too.

Not just the character, but also the rifle is definitively hand-painted (though the character might literally be hand painted whereas for the rifle "hand" means "by hand, in a drawing program"). Note the "highlight" on the barrel, which is easily identifiable as a linear gradient (and the highlight on the body is a radial gradient).

Not just the character, but also the rifle is definitively hand-painted (though the character might literally be hand painted whereas for the rifle "hand" means "by hand, in a drawing program"). Note the "highlight" on the barrel, which is easily identifiable as a linear gradient (and the highlight on the body is a radial gradient).

I'm not disagreeing with the points, as I too am quite sure it is handpainted. I just wanted to make the point that shaders can indeed make similar gradients, both linear and radial. I don't think that this is the case at all here, rather just making the point.

Keep in mind that nowadays "hand painted" includes Photoshop.

I assume the floating screens are simply imported painted images with a perspective deformation, and their borders could be made with geometric shapes and glow filters.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Keep in mind that nowadays "hand painted" includes Photoshop.

Almost exclusively photoshop laugh.png

Sometimes for digital paintings like that, you'll do a quick 3D mock-up, and then "paint over" a screenshot of the 3D scene. Doing so lets you very quickly get the perspective and framing/composition right before putting any paint to canvas. If you're doing a painting of an existing asset (e.g. a character that's already in the game), then a paint-over will help the painting match the in-game scenes too.

Yup, when I refer to "hand-painted" in this day and age, I'm actually expecting it to be done in photoshop, Krita, Painter, something similar. Isn't that pretty much a known now? blink.png

I'm guessing the artist used a 3d mockup character and hand-painted on top of it.

If you look at the lighting quality of the "main" character, it's lighting is much better than the little hologram-guys' lighting. Their lighting is very flat, so the artist probably didn't use a lighting reference for them.

Just guessing at this - i figure if the artist is good with lighting, it would still be good on the hologram guys, but it's not, so he probably isn't too great with it when doing free-hand.

*edit - i should add, the art is quite good, so when speaking of skill level, i'm speaking of relative strengths, rather than absolute skill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement