Programming a simply 2D game

Started by
5 comments, last by jeskeca 8 years, 5 months ago
I need help programming a 2D game.
I´m not expert doing this. I am biologist and I am working on evolutionary ecology. Actually I´m testing if grasshoppers which colour doesn´t match with their background prefer to use disruptive camouflage (placing themselves on a line or hole). As you can see, I am working in something totally far away from the programmation of games. But I need a game which allows register the time, position and order of detection for a grasshoppers. With that we want to test if people detect better a non disruptive grasshopper. I need to build a simple game with next characteristics:
- 2D game.
- Responsive area for clicking.
- Random presentation of pictures.
- Register order, and time taken for find a grasshopper.
- Data export of that register.
- Distinction if grasshopper is on a line or over the ground.
Thanks for your help. I really need you guys.
P.D.: I´m sorry for my bad English.
Advertisement

I think GameMaker is your best option. You barely need to know how to code.

http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Biology science often uses Python as language, afaik. It's a quite easy language, and you may have people around you that know the language.
If you want to go that route, there is pygame to handle the "game" side of things. I don't understand the latter requirement, but all other look very doable to me.

The mechanic of game is simply, randome pictures with grasshopper appear (grasshoppers have a number but people musnt not see it), and when u click the game has to record the time taken for find the grasshopper and the order, and allow a data set export.

Are you looking for someone to make this game for you, or just looking for advice on how to do it yourself? Something like this would be extremely easy to create with most any game engine. You could even do it on a website. It might even be easier to do as a website, that way you just need to send the link to people to do the test.

There are couple of simple game editors which could suit you,

I recommend Love, Game maker or unity. (Love being the easiest and unity the most difficult of these).

I second sirweeble..

This could be built using a webpage and javascript.. With a simple server to collect results (parse?). This way you can send anyone the test link in email and they can participste in a browser

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement