Started by
7 comments, last by rip-off 8 years, 6 months ago

please can somebody help me

i bought the book teach yourself game programming in 21 days second hand

but i did not get a cd

i need a cd or source code from cd please

Advertisement

Hi Michael,

This may not be actually what you want but it may be of some help...

https://github.com/nbrookie/game_programming_21_days_allegro

Have a search for the book name plus github, source code, or CD on google and see what you can track down.

I believe that is a fairly old book you have.

And do not ask people to provide you with something that might break copyright laws. The CD you are asking for is protected just the same way the book is. If you didn't got one with your book, complain to the seller. If you bought it second hand, most probably you bought it knowing that there was no CD provided.

This is a forum frequented by professionals and hobbyist game devs that do respect other peoples copyrights (and most of which hope their copyright will be respected the same way), please do the same.

Now, if you want to get hold of the contents of the CD, the only legal way to do so is to either a) buy another copy coming with a CD, b) buying the CD alone second hand, or c) Contact the author or publisher and see if you can get hold of the CD content some other way.

The book might be out of print for a long time and the CD content might have been made available online for free. There is the chance that there is exclusive content online for book owners, including the CD content, and you might be able to make a point being eligible to that having bought the book. Maybe the author or publisher wants to show good will and will provide you with something (if it will be the full CD content, IDK).

Eh, I don't see this as a completely unreasonable request that someone ought to be slapped down for.

Most of the reputable publishers will put the source code for their books on their websites for free downloads, without any requirement that you prove that you have purchased the book, and quite often is published with very permissive licenses. If this is the LaMothe book that was published over 20 years ago, that may not have been the case, but it is effectively abandonware at this point (I tried looking it up on the publisher's website, but they have possibly the most broken search implementation I've ever seen). It's entirely possible that neither the publisher nor the author even has the source code any longer, and it only exists on whatever sufficiently non-scratched-to-hell CDs are still out there. At that point, you almost have a moral obligation to violate copyright, to ensure that the source code is not lost forever. It is unfortunate that there is not some sort of GoG for old programming books - far too many of them are little more use than kindling or toilet paper without the source code, or some obscure, unavailable helper library that is included in the source CD.

Unless this happened to be bundled into some mega ebook torrent at some point and is still alive, you are probably not going to have much luck.

You might want to investigate something a little more up-to-date. The concepts and theory in a book that old is likely still relevant, but the actual technical details are going to be completely irrelevant, unless you are writing code to run on DosBox.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

While I don't have the CD for such an old book, I do have two side-notes that are closely related.

do not ask people to provide you with something that might break copyright laws

That is correct.

When book stores have old books, rather than return them to the publisher they rip off the covers and typically destroy the CD.

Sometimes people get their hands on the books marked as destroyed. Book resellers know better than to accept books without a cover since legal repercussions can be severe, with a six-figure fine per book that could bankrupt the small business. However, sometimes these books make the rounds to a family member or a friend-of-a-friend who is interested in the subject in a well meaning -- but unlawful -- shift.

Then those people ask all over the Internet for the missing contents of the out of date, out of print book.

I don't see this as a completely unreasonable request that someone ought to be slapped down for.

Taken alone, perhaps not.

We've recently been hit by a series of posts (purposely not giving other account names out of respect against retaliation) by one or two people who picked up a bunch of old game development books, about 15+ years old, and is begging for copies of the CD, and also asking questions about getting the book's ancient code from both pre-standard compilers and from early C++98 compilers to work on modern C++11 and C++14 compilers.

Those posts have ranged from polite and similar to this one, just asking for the disc contents, to somewhat abusive demanding strangers on the board fix compiler problems stemming from decades-old compilers.

Those posts are probably the reason michael1978 is taking the ratings beating.

This is a forum frequented by professionals and hobbyist game devs that do respect other peoples copyrights (and most of which hope their copyright will be respected the same way), please do the same.

and some of us have even lost our game studios in the past due to copyright violations (Caveman v1.3, circa 2002).

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

and some of us have even lost our game studios in the past due to copyright violations (Caveman v1.3, circa 2002).

I don't mean to hijack OP's post but I'm curious, did you commit some serious breaches you were aware of and got caught or was it something that took you by surprise and gob-smacked you by the subtlety and arcane character of copyright and patent laws? I'm a bit scared of the latter.

Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years is a definite must-read article...

As the others have mentioned already, what you are asking for is not allowed under copyright law.

Topic locked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement