Level creation / editing in Monogame

Started by
1 comment, last by Choo Wagga Choo Choo 8 years, 5 months ago

I created a pong clone for a first project and now I'm making a clone of "impossible game", I'm not too sure on how to create the levels. I know I can use a 2D array to draw sprites and set up collision for them as well. But that just seems like a more time consuming, complicated and less productive way of doing it. I've tried to find information on using tile editors with monogame but have not found much. Would I have to write my own tile editor? Or can I import from Tiled or something? I'm hoping someone can shine some light on my issue.

Advertisement

http://doc.mapeditor.org/reference/support-for-tmx-maps/#cnet

oh LOL...The Impossible Game could be the next 'most hated' game on the planet, joining the ranks of flappy bird. Thank you for the reference, good luck with your editor endeavor.

With that said, if we're talking about the same game you're cloning, I might suggest a tile editor as over kill. Something like this could be easily handled with a simple image format. The size of the image becomes your play space grid and you simply paint your scene with colors representing objects in your environment. If you had eight different scene objects or less, you would be able to get that down to 8-bit per pixel and load directly. Better yet, you'd build a quick and dirty external image parser as part of your tool chain to read this image and write to a custom scene format making your level file quite small or you may choose to embed the results directly as code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement