• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
madeingnt

Photoshop Or Illustrator Or something else?

This topic is 1058 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I want to learn a graphics designing tool so that I can do the graphics on my own instead of explaining my vision to the designer. I want to start with simple graphics such as two dots and then move onto next levels.

Can you suggest me which tools should I learn? Is Adobe illustrator is the right tool for creating vector graphics?

In adobe illustrator can we create 3d cartoons that actually move and dance? (For example. if I want to create a dancing 3d monkey. Is AI is enough?

Thanks for all replies....

Advertisement

Hiya :D

I've dabbled a bit in both programs, and I can pretty much tell you that it doesn't really matter which you choose. They can both get the job done, just in different ways, and one can be more proficient than the other. Photoshop is capable of vector graphics, but I feel Illustrator might be a bit faster to do it. http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/which-better-photoshop-or-illustrator-12121500 goes a bit more in-depth with the comparison.

In the end, it's best to go with whichever one you're most comfortable using. Maybe you'll start using Photoshop and hate it, make the switch to Illustrator :)

GIMP is also a good free alternative to photoshop. It certiainly wont have all the best features of photoshop, but for simple things it gets the job done.

I use Inkscape and GIMP both are free and both are more than good enough for producing game art.  

You aren't going to miss any features from the Adobe tools unless you are very experienced.

If you want a head start producing vector graphics for games with Inkscape (and also Illustrator) then this is probably the best site for you to check out:
http://www.2dgameartguru.com

While being a happy photoshop user myself, I would also advise you to look at gimp and other free tools before shelling out for expensive Adobe programs.

There are many advantages of PS over Gimp (and the other way round), but you will only find out if you actually need them by trying Gimp (or its Vector based equivalent) first... and given that it is free, you will not spend any money on the expierience.

And there is a good chance that you are completly satisfied with the free alternative, which saves you a lot of money in the long run (now that Adobe tools only come in kinda-expensive subs... don't get me wrong, the price is good for a graphic pro, but for a hobbyist or parttime user, the price IS high).

Edited by Gian-Reto

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!