• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blueboo

Word Fireworks - Learn Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Hebrew.

This topic is 1002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi fellow game developers.

For the past year, I've been working on a learning game that teaches how to read and write CJK+Hebrew...with fireworks!

tumblr_nwl2e5bM6p1rpco88o1_400.gif  tumblr_nwl2e5bM6p1rpco88o2_400.gif  tumblr_nwl2e5bM6p1rpco88o4_400.gif

As a game design exercise, this one was all about keeping cognitive load low so the player could keep learning the new material, while maximizing the reward and delight coming out of the environment and UI.  Sparkles, explosions, and sparkly explosions!

kQR7W9t.jpg

For better or worse, this was a project that began small -- a mini-game to recognize Korean letters -- and grew as the game itself got more polished.  Learning letters turned into reading and vocab.  Male and female voice actors recorded native speaker pronunciations.  I already knew some Chinese and Japanese, so...languages were added!  From getting the correct stroke orders to programming how Hebrew is transliterated into English...this one had a ton of under-the-hood work for content.

I'd like to write up the whole evolution of this project. It actually began as a top-down voxel-world twin stick shooter.  That was a bit much to ask of the player on top of learning a new language.  But I thought the explosions were satsifying...  

Word Fireworks is free this weekend on IOS if you want to give it a spin: Learn Chinese version - Learn Hebrew version - Learn Japanese version - Learn Korean version

http://wordfireworks.com has download links, video, and more info.

Feedback + questions welcome --

charlie
[twitter]bigblueboo[/twitter]

Edited by blueboo

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!