• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kendall Marcus

Excuse me < How do I create Models/Objects for my game?

This topic is 1142 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Generally the choice comes down to 3ds Max vs Maya, which are owned by the same people and cost quite a bit of money. Blender is the recommended free alternative.

For making textures you'll want to go with Photoshop or GIMP (free alternative). Generally you'll want to make textures for your models, as downloading a free human texture for your own custom model can have very hilarious results if they're not adjusted. For simpler objects like crates and carpets, you could probably just use a free texture from the internet (preferably one you don't have to worry about CC for).

Blender is actually on par with the ridiculously expensive competitors, and personally I felt it has better documentation than Max. Krita is another Photoshop alternative I've been looking at lately. It takes a little getting used to but it has some interesting tools. You can get it for free if you agree to GPL rules, so it depends on what you're doing with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!