• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Where to start learning UE4 programming

This topic is 909 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

Around a year ago I started learning the basics of C++.

Now I know most of the basics and I want to start making games with UE4.

I like the idea of programming C++ over using blueprints (if the tasks aren't really small at least), but

I can't really find a good place to learn programming with UE4. The official programming tutorials

seem to be not complete and just learn some basic stuff. I came acros this book as well: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-C-Creating-Games-UE4/dp/1784396575/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=05VJBVF3EB5WV2W49YG5 (Learning C++ by creating games with UE4). 

The last part seems to cover programming in UE4 I think.

So my question: what is a good place to learn how to use UE4 and how to program in UE4 for someone who knows C++?

Advertisement

Thanks for the reaction. I dont know if we mean the same thing with basics, but to give you some

vague idea: everything from simple variables -> polyformism.

I don't know if this is enough. 

Thanks for the advice from the book I will read it then.

I bought the book too when I started dabbling un UE4 some months ago. Book is good, but I on the other Hand expected some more complex topics. Cannot say how much of a help it is to C++ newbs though as I had some C++ expierience to start with.

Found that a lot of the nitty gritty odd details that separate C++ UE4 coding from C# coding in Unity are actually not explained in the book. You try to move past what the book teaches you, and run into problems, then the google search begins.

And with Epic having more than enough Documentation and API Information, but arranged in a less than logical manner (at least for me), I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without google.

But as a starting point, the book is good. It will explain a lot of the very basic cases and needs, and will help you build a basic understanding for the UE4 API, and actually gives quite some introduction to basic C++ concepts (which were superfluos for me as a lot of it is the same to other OO languages and I had to skip 50% of the book because of that).

Personally, I found the official documentation and API from Epic more helpful (using google as a search function to find anything at all), as I knew exactly what I wanted to build (a free roaming RTS style camera), and the book didn't cover special cases like this.

But if you want to follow the examples in the book instead, I guess it will help you much more than it did help me.

Edited by Gian-Reto

If you're only just feeling competent with C++ maybe UE4 isn't the next big thing to dive into.

UE4 has a lot of its own oddities, like a reflection system built on top of it which runs within visual studio as a pre-compilation step, and a lot of odd #define's that mess up intellisense at random.

Sure, it's a great engine, but tread with trepidation. I would call myself an experienced C++ programmer and UE4 often trips me up with strange designs (for example use of TList instead of std::vector, and only being able to serialise a small subset of scalar types like int32).

I found the best starting point for UE4 was youtube tutorials (there are many more of these for blueprint than C++ though) and searching through the many content examples Epic provide. You won't pay a penny for these but you will have to invest your own time of course same as reading a book.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement