Animating 3d models ... do 3d people move ? Skinning plugin ....

Started by
5 comments, last by dex7 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi,i''ve written a pretty good 3d engine, but the problem came up when i realized that the 3d models can even move.... so i''ve got a couple of questions which are really important for me: say we are in 3ds max: 1. can i save more animations in one .max file ??? (like man_move_forward, man_turn_left, so on ...) or i have to have them in separate files: man_fw.max, man_t_left.max, ... ??? 2. second one is about skinning: what plug in should i use to apply textures precisely -> u,v -> x,y,z -> i haven''t found such precise applying in std. version (that plugin should be free if posssible) 2b) what you think of milkshak(p)e (<- not a joke i just dont know the correct name ....) if you can answer theese questions i''ll really really appreciate it ... -- dex7
Advertisement
Could you help me in understanding what is a pretty good 3d engine if it does not support moving 3D object?
Of course is a BAAAD enginer. there are a lot of information for moving mesh. There are many methods for this :
-geometric blend (such quake3)
-squeletical
and more.

-eng3d.softhome.net-
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
The unwrap uvw modifier that came with max allows you to place uv coords precisely. There are some good plugins that help with texture coordinates, but the ones I know aren''t free.

--
http://www.3dcgi.com/
nosfy: my engine is offtopic here, and you are too
eng3d: i know how is animation done - both you mentioned, but i wasn''t asking about this, wtf you answer questions - that nobody asks ????
3dcgi: thanks

-dex
Hehe, dang, dex7 seems a little touchy there when it comes to his engine and off topics... Calm down little one.

Milkshape is an okay program, easy to learn; which is a deffinate plus. Although I personally prefer Blender because of the added power. Complex yes, but worth it in my opinion. Some say its almost as good as the high dollar progs, dont know if thats true.
dex7 :i use a new-method for animation. In fact i use the .ASE format instead of .X or .3DS, then convert the .ASE to .X7 ("propietary" format).

Next, i made the next :

vertexresultant(i)=vertexoriginal(i)*matrix(e)

with all vertex. For this i multiply the matrix by X,Y,X, NX,NY and NZ componente (i left without touching the U and V).

it is the idea :

a----b----c

b----c
!
!
!
a

a,b,c is the vertex and have the same u,v coordinates even when it is rotated or translated.

-eng3d.softhome.net-

Edited by - eng3d on November 19, 2001 12:31:04 PM
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement