Need help with Win32 stuff...

Started by
3 comments, last by Zantac 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, i''ve got a few problem with windows programming. I''m trying to make an "winamp"-style app, with alot of graphics. So i''d like to use the windowstyle WS_POPUP to make it as nice as possible (no windows gui gfx), but when i do, i can''t move the window! I tried setting the window pos manually, but i got alot of flickering and other problems. Another problem i have is that if i''m resizing or moving a window, it simply stops updating. If i click (and hold) the title bar, the windows doesn''t redraw itself. What shall i do? I tried drawing when recieving WM_SIZING and WM_MOVING messages, but then it only updates when moving or resizing (still freezes if i click-and-hold the title bar). I also tried moving the drawing from the callback to the messageloop but with no success.. I''m using MSVC 6. Thankful for any help! Cheers, Simon
Advertisement
You need to look for the WM_PAINT message for redrawing the window..

You also need to check out the message that triggers when the window is moved (I cannot think of it right now) i think its WM_MOVE.. not sure... check out www.msdn.microsoft.com

also try the MoveWindow function.. it may help.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

quote:Original post by Zantac
...i''d like to use the windowstyle WS_POPUP... but when i do, i can''t move the window! I tried setting the window pos manually, but i got alot of flickering and other problems.

Don''t use WS_POPUP. Look up the various window styles and combine the ones you want. e.g.
hwnd = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES|WS_EX_APPFILES, WS_OVERLAPPED|WS_BORDER|WS_CLIPSIBLINGS|WS_TILED, ...); 

quote:Another problem i have is that if i''m resizing or moving a window, it simply stops updating.

As GoofProg said, handle the WM_PAINT message. if you let this fall throuhg to DefWindowProc the window will be redrawn in its existing style, but none of your controls, etc will be drawn.
You should certainly paint the window in response to the WM_PAINT message. Another tip to avoid flickering it to override the WM_ERASEBKGND message and do nothing (just stop the default implementing from running). Then, in the WM_PAINT handler, paint the entire window, warts and all. This will produce bootyful flicker-free drawing when you size your window.

In terms of moving the window when you click on the title bar, use Spy++ to see what messages are sent to a window when you do this. I seem to remember a WM_SYSCOMMAND message gets sent when moving a window with the title bar. You need to replicate this message anyway - I''ve done it before so I know it works.

The problem with the window not redrawing itself could be due to the way you are doing something. If, in response to a message you are freezing the main thread of your application - no more messages (like WM_PAINT) will be processed. If you can provide a code snippet, that would help.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Hi again,

thanks for your replies, but it''s not really what i was looking for. I am handling the WM_PAINT message already. The flickering occured when i tried to move the window manually, since it by default (when using style WS_POPUP) can''t be moved. The solution to my problem was to include a

SendMessage(hwnd, WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN, HTCAPTION, lparam);

when handling WM_LBUTTONDOWN.

I need to use WS_POPUP because i want to reshape the window so that it has the same shape as one of the skins i''ll be using (by defining a region). (Maybe this can be done without using WS_POPUP? Please tell me if i''m wrong) Also, because of this (the reshaping) i don''t want a border around the window.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions =)

Cheers,
Simon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement