• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mobile games with big file size

This topic is 874 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My free mobile game has very large file size: around 250MB

Can it be acceptable for gamers, assuming the game is good and they are motivated to play it after watching a demo/review etc.?

Maybe it depends on the country and the monthly traffic available to mobile internet plans.

For now let's consider just U.S. and Canada

Advertisement

Loads of successful games are bigger.

If you were close to the 100MB mark *, I'd recommend trying to get under it, so that your game can be downloaded over a cellular connection.

You're nowhere near small enough to get under that (unless you're being very wasteful and there's loads of stuff you can cut), but you're nowhere near large enough that typical users would worry about downloading over WiFi or worry about the storage you're taking up on the device.

Some games cheat the system a bit by making their initial download small, then downloading loads of extra stuff immediately. This is partially justified by the fact that different devices support different types of compressed texture, so the correct texture format can be selected.

* Limit used to be 50MB until very recently. It's now 100MB for apps targeting Android 4 and above.

Loads of successful games are bigger.

If you were close to the 100MB mark *, I'd recommend trying to get under it, so that your game can be downloaded over a cellular connection.

You're nowhere near small enough to get under that (unless you're being very wasteful and there's loads of stuff you can cut), but you're nowhere near large enough that typical users would worry about downloading over WiFi or worry about the storage you're taking up on the device.

Some games cheat the system a bit by making their initial download small, then downloading loads of extra stuff immediately. This is partially justified by the fact that different devices support different types of compressed texture, so the correct texture format can be selected.

* Limit used to be 50MB until very recently. It's now 100MB for apps targeting Android 4 and above.

Thank you for the reply

If it's over 100MB you can still download on mobile connection, the problem is you're consuming monthly traffic (in many countries, mobile connections are fast like an ADSL but they're costly and there's a monthly bandwidth limit of 1/2/4/8/12 GB or more, it depends).

Maybe in U.S. and Canada the Wifi is everywhere so who cares.

In other countries that may not the case, so

i should check how much traffic the carriers offer for every country.

P.S.

About the APK limit: it is actually nonexistent because you can build the game with APK Expansion files if you exceed 100MB.

I would work VERY hard to get this game to be much smaller. Yes there are bigger games but to think your game is so good that people will dump 250MB isn't realistic. It's not an insult or meant to pull you down, it's just reality. There is a reason apps can be sorted by size on your phone and you don't want to be in the top ten in that list. It is SO hard to get people to even try your game and that file size is a deterrent.

Have you looked into doing an expansion file on android? It does require work and is one more point of failure you have to deal with.

Perhaps I am wrong but I get the feeling this is a small 1-2 person team. If so realistically, I doubt you could have generated that much content. Spend sometime looking how you could reduce the size. Can you tell me what kind of resources are using the most space and perhaps I could offer some advice?  Textures, geometry, audio etc

Use atlases with alpha trim, it will decrease game size and don't forget to covert all audio (.caf good one) Before .caf my audio as 120mb after >> 25mb and quality looks the same on the phones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement