• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DarkRonin

Current state of audio libraries in Windows

This topic is 1082 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what is considered to be the current API when coding audio under the Windows platform SDK.

Is XAudio2 still the current? Or is there something that has superseded this?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
XAudio2 is a library at the OS SDK level. Do you want to work at that level?. WWise and FMOD are very popular commercial products a middleware used by many game companies.

Yeah, I am happy to work at that level. smile.png

Was just wondering if MS had replaced it with something else. But, it seems that this is still current.

XAudio2 is still the core audio library for Windows. However note that it is now a system component like DirectX, and so the version of XAudio2 that is available depends on the OS version:

Windows XP/Vista/7 - XAudio 2.7 or earlier depending on DirectX runtime installed on user's machine
Windows 8 - XAudio 2.8
Windows 10 - XAudio 2.9

(source)

WASAPI gives you low-level access to the devices and can achieve lower latencies. Digital audio workstations (e.g. cubase) would use that one (or perhaps ASIO) for greater control. However, it's not easy to work with.

Edited by Aressera

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!