• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Infinisearch

[D3D12] Placed resources

This topic is 1138 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking into resources in more depth right now and was wondering if anybody has dug into placed resources yet and if so do you have any words of wisdom or guidelines?  In addition what advantages do placed resources have over committed resources, if any?

Advertisement

Thanks for the infos, I was wondering how the memory aliasing part did work for placed resources !

Thanks MJP I was aware of everything but the resource heap tiers... must have missed that.  But I guess I'm still a little wary of manually handling things in a placed heap, namely with a commited heap you are "driver aware" on the resource level... is there any advantage to this?  Are there any other concerns I'm missing in regards with the thought process of going with placed vs committed?

With committed resources the driver can potentially try to ensure that "important" resources go into faster memory, at least in the cases where the GPU can address multiple areas of memory. One GPU where this might be relevant is the GTX 970, which has a segment of memory that's slower than the rest due to the way its memory architecture is laid out. I don't know if this actually amounts to any tangible improvements in practice, since it's still early. Currently I'm using committed resources for almost everything, and only using placed resources in cases where I can save memory through aliasing.

How do you make a heap 4kb aligned?
I created one with non rt non de texture only flag but it still wants a 64 kb alignment for the (uav) texture I'm allocating on it.
BTW does placed resource require an aliasing barrier if no one overlaps? The docs seems to say yes but I might be misinterpreting it. In my app I don't issue aliasing barrier and it works.

64 kb alignment is huge especially for lots of small resources. I'm suballocating from a bigger buffer for buffer textures but it's not possible for small textures...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!