Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mkoday

Best Way To Handle Strings

In C/C++ what is the best way to handle strings for DOS programming? Using fputs(), and gets() is what I am doing now, and having the string be a char array.

Use STL strings.

#include <fstream>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;
string str0, str1;
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
// assign strings easily

str0 = "Whoa! (Eat your heart out, Keanu)";
// read in from console

cout << "Enter any text you want: ";
cin >> str1;
// print to console

cout << str0 << endl;
// compare strings

if(str0 != str1)
// copy string

str0 = str1;
// and so on.

return 0;
}

The Definitive Useful Link:
SGI STL documentation

Guest Anonymous Poster
yep, use STL strings. The only issue you should have is that ifstreams and ofstreams take char* as parameters. However that problem is easily solved, with c_str(), a member function of string.

Note that cin >> str1; does not do what you think it does, it skips whitespace, then puts one word into str1. You probably want getline(cin,str1); that copies everything up to ''\n'' and throws the newline away.

c_str converts the string to a const char *, and the functions take a char *. The getline() does not work properly as it requires you to push enter twice to accept the input.

That''s an overgeneralisation.

getline() works just fine UNLESS you have Visual C++ and you haven''t applied the fixes available on the Dinkumware site. (Use Google to find it...)

Guest Anonymous Poster
hey we never said anything is wrong with char* (though personally I think they are horrible) but I just recommend that people use strings, especially newbies who have enough to think about already. When he becomes 1337 and wants to take up using char* then that''s fine. I just think that people should use the STL until they actively decide not to. It is a good set of default types.