Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre - Official Release

This topic is 5854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This has been a project of mine for the last week, my goal to get rid of homework all together eventually :-) -- Basically the program was desinged to be the napster of homework, has roughly the same design except certain security precautions to make sure my teachers cant EVER get into the server, and even if they do I still have a backup security measure. Anyways, I just finished this program and I need people to test it. Would be very helpful, I've done quite of bit of testing on it myself but I don't have any Win2k / XP machines around so I haven't been able to test it completely yet...So download it from the ftp link below and request a log in...I add the logins myself so it might take 15min to obtain one... If you encounter problems tell me the OS, speed of your computer and anything else you think is useful. Thanks. When you search for homework, all that up right now is mine - Mr Sievers - Honors Physics; Mr Neville - American History Honors; Mr Ormund - English III Honors; Br Brennan - Religion III If you can think of anything I should add, tell me...if you find any security flaws- have your fun then tell me. Thanks again -Andrew ftp://schoolresources:schoolsucks@24.251.90.72/Computer Programs/Install School Sucks Encoder.exe Edit - added comment Edited by - Assembler015 on November 15, 2001 8:51:40 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not really a "game dev" topic here or any general discussion about games but lol .. good idea. I understand your point of view on not having to do homework -- getting bad grades for not doing some work that you already know is a bummer but I think your program might be abused and others that use it wont actually learn what they''re supposed to study.

On the flip side, worked fine on my system.

WindowsXP Pro
Pen4 2.0GHz
512mb RDRAM
ADSL

Guest Anonymous Poster
Dude, if those standing in line can''t cut the mustard let em flunk! Do your homework, it''s good for you, better than getting into a bad habit like cheating.

Let me get this straight: you want us to help you test a program that facilitates cheating on homework?

I''ll hold off for a minute on how stupid I think you must be.

The purpose of homework is not to wreck your day. Sure, most of us didn''t (and still don''t) enjoy doing it, but eventually we realize that it is necessary to assist us in learning skills that are useful and in some instances necessary. Furthermore, cheating on homework is wrong, and defeats the purpose. I mean, you might as well not go to school if you wish to circumvent the mechanisms designed to ensure that you actually learned anything.

When you get a job and you''re required to employ knowledge you were expected to have gained in school - but didn''t since you were cheating - how will you respond? Scramble for a textbook and get some on-the-spot remedial study in?

Do your fucking homework. You''ll turn out better for it.

Now, your stupidity: it''s like coming here to ask us to test a cracking program - an application to circumvent security checks (homework and exams are the security that you learned anything in school). As software developers largely intending to profit from our creations, doesn''t that strike you as contrary?

Motherfucker.

Oh, and before you spit the "Why should I do what I already know?" rhetoric at me, realize that I''ve been there too (at college level, thank you very much). It''s a redundant check, but would you prefer your antivirus to skip checks on site that you frequent regularly or have visited before without incident (after all, your browser knows them, right?)

Yeah, I''m rude and blunt and excessively profane. And?

hmm everytime i''ve said in a class: "oh, this is stuff I already know, so there''s no need to do homework or study, i''ve almost always flunked"

It doesn''t matter how much I think i know it, it''s until I do it that I know that I know. Same thing with Games.

I hear tons of people say "that''s easy stuff, so I don''t need to start with tetris or pacman or something easy like that". and then when they go for the big stuff, they don''t even know how to open up a damn window for the graphics

Just a thought...

Pactuul

hmm everytime i''ve said in a class: "oh, this is stuff I already know, so there''s no need to do homework or study, i''ve almost always flunked"

It doesn''t matter how much I think i know it, it''s until I do it that I know that I know. Same thing with Games.

I hear tons of people say "that''s easy stuff, so I don''t need to start with tetris or pacman or something easy like that". and then when they go for the big stuff, they don''t even know how to open up a damn window for the graphics

Just a thought...

Pactuul

Guest Anonymous Poster
Motherfucker to you, Oluseyi!
I was in every honors and AP class they offered in high school, and I never did any homework. I could understand everything in class by just reading the the damn book (or sometimes even just listening to the teacher in class).
The point is, there IS a system. You can play by it''s rules, or you can have it swallow you whole... OR you can beat it.
If the kid wants to cheat, and he is clever enough to get away with it, more power to him. He obviously isn''t stupid, and I think it is amusing that he spends his time writing a program to help him not do homework instead of just doing it.
Some people don''t need someone breathing down their neck to insure that the learn. My homework-evading exploits didn''t affect my job in any way, other than that it helped immensely with my creative problem solving
Just accept that some people are too smart for the system you hold so dear.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Or, he can show it by avoiding homework, still getting good grades, and not having it ruin his life (as some people insist it must).
Get over it people.
Either help him, or don''t bother posting here. Maybe you could start your own thread about the importance of homework or something.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Motherfucker to you, Oluseyi!

Syntax error. Motherfucker is a proper noun - like I can''t say "shit to you" or "fuck to you"; it sounds like Jay''s Russian cousin singing Berzerker (see Clerks.) Motherfucking , OTOH, is an adjective.

I really don''t give a flying fuck which AP class you were in when; it''s irrelevant. The system isn''t perfect, but if we all circumvent it then chaos ensues. My point is that while I think the system is structurally flawed, and we should have tailored tutoring to each student''s ability, we don''t. If it''s such a big issue for you, do what I did: don''t give a fuck. Don''t do your homework and still pass. Drop out of high school and still get into college at the same time as your peers. Don''t read, don''t study (and only go to class on occasion) and still get As. Impress me.

Can''t? Then shut the fuck up.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sigh.

This post was a bad, bad move, my friend. You have provided more than enough information on yourself for me to have determined your real name, and the name and location of your high school.

Have you got any particularly compelling reason for me (or anyone else that want''s to spend 5 minutes researching your ID on the internet) to _not_ send a copy of this to your faculty?

Even if the poster of this knows how to do all his homework, he''s still willing to help others cheat.

That''s pretty much inexcusable, so I''d be pretty happy if the above AP did tell his faculty.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
If it''s such a big issue for you, do what I did: don''t give a fuck. Don''t do your homework and still pass. Drop out of high school and still get into college at the same time as your peers. Don''t read, don''t study (and only go to class on occasion) and still get As. Impress me.
Can''t? Then shut the fuck up.

Er, apparently you either don''t bother reading an entire [ short ] post before you shoot off your mouth, or are incapable of understanding plain English. You seem to enjoy playing petty semantics with the conjugation of cuss-words; now work on the comprehension part.
When you learn to read properly, you should go back and note that I didn''t do my homework and still passed (graduated 3rd out of 400+), and went to college (sorry, I didn''t drop out of high school just to pick education up again, I went straight through) where I continued to avoid actual work and just learned by my own means (and again getting good grades).
So, it would appear that YOU are the one who should STFU.
P.S. - You should see my METAL FACE!

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
I''ll hold off for a minute on how stupid I think you must be.

Andrew (aka Assembler015) has repeatedly shown himself to be incredibly stupid in the past. Stop by his website for a good laugh (beware the pop-up ads). How''s that operating system coming along, Andy?

Stop by this thread:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=52038
..to see my absolute reaming of this twit.

Seriously, folks, this troll is not worth the time.

Okay, sorry Ive been so long to reply but I got some virus yesterday and needed to format...it deleted all my dll''s, I found the script for it...was a vb script---last time I use outlook..ug. Let me set some things straight now-

My mom found out I was doing this so she called the school, talked to the principle and asked if a collabrotive effor was okay, the principle said that with the classes I have it was almost expected that I come up with a method to work together on homework and that this was fine. So yes, the original versions didn''t have my name anywhere however the new version does, why? BECAUSE THEY ALREADY KNOW WHAT I''M DOING. So it doesn''t matter.

In response to Stoffel, he asked how my OS was coming...whether or not you believe me I don''t care but as of this moment I have it working to the point where I can set the prcessor in protected mode, control the DMA chip, can write and read floppy disks and hard drive and of course, I have a boot sector working. This is all being done on the computer next to me, a 33MHz with 4Mg of RAM and a 200Mg harddrive! Talk about top of the line :-)

And finally, I really don''t care if you do or don''t agree with the ethics of my program, I just made it to put an end to this homework crap-I dont agree with the way things are done in school and if they won''t change the way things are done, I will improvise and find shortcuts so I actually have time to do stuff I want!

--Andrew

Guest Anonymous Poster
Stoffel:
Ok, I''m sorry for speaking up in defense of this Assmebler person. While what I said before is true for some people, it obviously isn''t for him.
How was I to know? He talked enough smack, I guess I am just gullible.
Oluseyi, I still think you are too stupid to have such a large attitude problem.

He has greatly disrespected many people here in the past, constantly screams about how we''re all wrong, has had posts deleted (e.g. "Gamedev sucks!"), etc. That would be alright if he were an eccentric genious, but as it stands he has been shown time and time again (the post I linked being just one of the examples, where he posits "member function calls are slower than free function calls"--HA!) that he really doesn''t understand what he''s talking about a lot of the time.

You learn and grow as a programmer by listening to others and trying things on your own. This guy thinks he knows everything and just tries to shut everyone down. He''s a twit.

Assembler015:
I have been casually interested in how to write an OS, but I never really got up the time or energy to do so, but could you give me a few starting points on it in this post. BTW, I love the idea. Even if you F your homework, they wont help you learn it anyway.

Guest Anonymous Poster
so basically all the ppl on your network will not do hw? I assume someone will be doing the hw, and i bet they wont be on your network. Also if yoru principle thinks you need to colabarate on all your hw, then you guys must be real morons. Also did i mention that doing this is quite pointless since many teachers create new hw assignmnets each semeseter. Also this has been done already with web sites that have loads of essays (basically if you are a pathetic loser who cant think). If you truly understand the hw so well, you could conplete it in minutes instead of having it take up all your freetime. heh more ignorence breeding stupidity.

It''s more of a collabrotive effort, like the take a penny leave a penny tray - we each do SOME of the homework and submit it...so everyone ends up do only a fraction of the assignment. Obviously with math homework this isn''t very useful but a small group (people in my classes that have been helping me work out the bugs) of people have been working and this program works great with english/history/religion/spanish homework.

About the OS, the big websites I used were:
developer.intel.com and dl the old 386 manuals
nondot.org useful stuff on os
and I have the bug -> OS Design the XINU approach

I started with learning how the boot sector works then I studied the DMA chip and how to control that and also the processor, mainly the 386 architecture. Some things they neglect to tell you is that when you set protected mode the A20 line has to be enabled, do this through the keyboard controller (io ports 60h, 61h, and 63h)Once you set up the Global Descriptor tables (used in protected mode) it is relatively simple to get started with the OS (the part Iam on). I just set it up so my physical memory is just a flat memory model, I have all the selectors (ss,es,cs,ds,fs, etc) set to access all the memory in the computer. Any more questions email me.

--Andrew

Guest Anonymous Poster
oh i get it now, so you dont have to physically help the ppl anymore. now you just leave a server running for it. makes prefect sense. need less social interaction to increase social interaction. So you also need to rely on the fact that someone in your group will do the work in a group where ppl dont want to do the hw because they are using this app to get hw. you alos realzie that such a network is very very localized due to the fact different teachers give differet hw and further the fact that they use different books and paces. why dont it work with math hw? none of your group memebers understand it? or is ot because it requires you to write out what is on the screen or type it into the pc? you just make yourself look more ignorent. Why ask us to test it when you have been testing it? btw i have found a security flaw, anybody can get a logon from you. so you process them manually, ppl can fake information. teachers are not as stupid as you think. and why do you need an install program? and call it school sucks encoder? i know, cuase its for moroms, sorry i asked. i guess ecdoing files to the :school sucks" format is required for transportation. also if you ppl are supposed to find security flaws, post yoru source so it can be examined (security through obscurity never works).

There is n "school sucks" format, all the files - when posted, are encrypted with a 32bit encryption technique and when downloaded decrypted to your harddrive. This way if someone does break into the ftp server, it doesn''t matter. But I really don''t care, if you really don''t want to test it fine...i think it runs good right now anyways; since no once really knows how to help.