• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
C. Dan

Car Engine Sound With Four Samples...

This topic is 1071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
My name is Daniel, and I'm new on this forum...
I'm working on the car engine sound system of a game...
First, I started using only one audio file. Normally, a record of a car
engine idling.
So, when the car accelerate, I gradually pitch up the sound frequency
of the audio file.
But, I got tired of this way, and the audio started to sound too
synthetic for me...
I decided to try using four audio files...
One with the car engine idling, and other three with the car engine on
low, mid and high rpm.
I used the fmod car example as a reference...
But, I would like to do this by myself... I know... Sounds unusual, crazy...
So... Somebody have some suggestions on how to get closer of the result
of the fmod example using volume and frequency (pitch) properties?
Thank you for your attention!

Advertisement
Have you tried to solve the problem yourself? I would start by searching the web for "synthesizing engine noise" or "engine sound synthesis" or something like that, and start reading what others have done. I am sure there is plenty of information there. If what you find there does not suit your needs, please explain what's special about your requirements.

How would just adjusting the volume sound? Using your low RPM sound, interpolating the volume the higher the "RPM" becomes? I am just curious, don't really know much about sound myself.

Thank you for replying!
Yes, I'm trying by myself...
Until now, I'm using a sound editor to change the pitch of two samples
that needs to be mixed (the Idle and the Low, the Low and
the mid, and the mid and the high), get these values when they combine,
and use on code...
But, the results still not sounds good... And, that way have the problem
that if try with other group of samples, I need to get back to the sound
editor, and try pitching all the samples again...
I will keep searching and trying...

Welcome Daniel!

Many years ago I had the same task while porting a mobile motorcycle game to PC. Sound support on the MIDP phones back then was quite limited, so at best the mobile game played an acceleration sound clip when the player hit the boost button. For the PC version we wanted continuous engine sound. At first we added just a constant sound but that obviously (and we knew it would) felt strange as it did not live with the speed of the action.

Our solution was the same as your first solution, changing the pitch of the looping sample by adjusting the playback rate. Only difference was that we didn't use an idling sample, but one from a bike running at about mid-speed. Experimentally we found that we could adjust the sample from about half-rate to about double rate before it started sounding synthetic, as you say.

This still felt a bit short range, like the bike did not really sound like it was accelerating as fast as the visuals seemed. This issue we solved by adding a couple of steps to the sound, where at certain calculated spots the sound jumped to a little lower pitch. This actually sounded a lot like gear shifting and gave us maybe a 50% more useful range from the single sample. That was enough to match the production standards of the rest of the game and it was shipped like that.

Now if you want to simulate the entire running range of a typical car engine, from zero to 6000+ RPM, you'll have to use multiple samples. For a typical running range of, say 750 to 3000 RPM one sample can do if you record it at the right speed. That would be 1500 RPM for this example, halve the rate and you get 750 RPM, double rate gives 3000 RPM.

I know this doesn't answer the question you asked, but I hope this at least gives you some ideas towards a solution.

Hi,
I've tried this way you suggested a while back in another little
project...
Sincerely, I was not satisfied with that result, but, if my time runs
out, It will be the way to do that way again...
The problem using one or two samples is because I can't get all the
characteristics of the engine sound...
Anyone interested can hear the examples I am attaching to get a ideia of
what I'm saying...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!