Rendering to a region of a texture

Started by
3 comments, last by RobM 8 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to do this in direct X 9? I'm rendering to a very large texture but I only want to update a relatively small region of it. Seems wasteful to render the whole thing?
Advertisement

You could use a Scissor

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174457(v=vs.85).aspx

I don't know if it would give any performance gains though.

My current game project Platform RPG

Shaders are an option. Only performing rendering operations a defined range of UV coordinates. Could you explain more on what you are trying to accomplish?

Edit: Double posting is bad *shakes finger*

if you are speaking about render target, you can set a viewport and then render.

Thanks everyone, after some testing I went with rendering a smaller quad against the large texture, works great.

Also, I didn't intentionally double-post, I initially posted it and gamedev reported an error twice. After I checked to see if it had gone through despite the error [both times] and it hadn't, I tried again. I'm a regular on this site with a lot of posts so I can't really understand why anyone would assume I had double-posted intentionally.

I also received a warning about it from a mod - not appreciated at all after contributing to the site financially and it being gamedev's fault. *shakes head faster than finger*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement