How's my first game coming along?

Started by
7 comments, last by Fallen_Angel 22 years, 5 months ago
I''ve just got my first game up to a presentable stage and wanted to get other people''s opinions on it, suggestions for improvement, plus point out any bugs that I may have missed. It''s a two player tank game, where the object is to destroy the other persons tank (pretty obvious really). There are currently three different levels to play on. I pretty much want to get this version running fine before I attempt an artificial intelligence for a one player version. I''m currently aware of two bugs that I''m looking into. One is simply a font sprite flickering and the other is midi''s not pausing / unpausing properly. They don''t effect gameplay, but are simply annoying. Any suggestions on these would be appreciated. The game is up at http://www.angelfire.com/realm/fap/ and any opinions, criticism etc would be welcome. Thanks
Advertisement
Hey FallenAngel,
that''s pretty cool, good job man!
Here''s a few suggestions:
1) Your collision detection for the missiles is very rough.. it seems like ur doing maybe a 32x32 box when you really should be doing a 16x16
2) Just a tip, after your program is done you could restore the cursor by doing SetCursor (TRUE) something like that
But great job overall!

Good luck

Jason Arora
jason@pubism.com
http://www.pubism.com
Jason Arorajason@pubism.comhttp://www.pubism.com
Thanks for that, I''ll look into the missile thing.
As for the cursor, I''m using ShowCursor(TRUE); which seems to be working here. This is what I should be doing right?
Wonderful job! I remember when I finished my first project and it was nowhere near as well done as yours is. Your game has a nice nostalgic feel to it...it reminds me of that ''ol game "Combat" on the Atari2600 and I used to love that game.
Keep up the great work! I''ll have to keep an eye on your page for other new games you make. You''ve done a very good job so far.

-Fuge
Well done game. The graphics are very smooth. Three things I noticed:

1) There seems to be a lot of lag on the options screens. When I hit the up or down arrow, I do not get an immediate response. I don''t know if you have an intentional delay here, or if you are refreshing the screen, but a more responsive interface would be nice.

2) The tank''s rotation speed is too quick. It''s very easy to over-rotate. It looks like you are just checking for a key press and then rotating. Perhaps you can prevent against key-repeat situations and use a steady rotation.

3) I agree that the collision detection is a little broad. Narrow the detection focus just a bit.

Overall the game looks great! After you get your AI in there, perhaps you can work on making the game playable over the internet. There are a host of good lessons to learn if you go that route - lag, sockets, etc...

Michael
Very nice! I wish one of my first games had looked that good.

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
Great game!

I''m having just one problem. The bitmapped polygons you use for the tanks and missiles is showing the underlying polygon as pink. Wierd. However my game Delta Force 3 has a similar problem where bitmapped polygons aren''t transparent. Wierd again. If any knows whats wrong with my computer (as i don''t think its the game) please let me know at Dangie333@hotmail.com

RELIGION IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.
What desktop settings do you have? 256 color? Did you change your desktop colors? Any schemes running?
Hey people.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and kind words
At the moment I''m going to fix the collision detection and the tank turning. It''s something I never really considered as I was just pressing the arrows once The lag on the menus I hadn''t noticed but then again I usually skipped passed them, so it''s something else I will look into.

mjacobsca: The online option is something I had already considered too. After the AI, i''m going to try an online version then maybe 3D if I can handle it, making it resemble the battle mode in Mario Kart or something.

Thanks again for checking it out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement