Looking for books on developing a business plan/general information on the business side of a start-up game company (sort of)

Started by
4 comments, last by ShiftyCake 8 years, 5 months ago

Well, that title was confusing. I apologise, let me explain clearer down here. First off, hello everyone. I actually left this forum for quite some time, as the game design course I attended sapped every bit of drive and desire to be a part of the gaming industry out of me. Literally. However, as fate would have it, around 9 (possible more who keeps track?) months later I found myself developing a game idea from a story I had written. This is currently where I'm at - developing my game idea. Well giving you a prologue wasn't necessary, but I felt like saying that. I'm not looking for help on my business venture. I've already put extensive time and effort into it, and have started the development process. I'm only looking for a couple of informative books to ensure that:

1. My business plan isn't missing anything

2. The ENTIRE business side of things are solid - a clear understanding of what I'm doing in relation to this.

I know there are other forms of media to learn about this, but I'd prefer books. If you do know of something externally from books that would be perfect for what I'm asking, feel free to tell me. But I am, as I said, mainly interested in books.

Also keep in mind that I live in Australia, and buy locally, so I may or may not be able to buy the book you suggest. If I like the book enough, I'll make an exception - but lets approach that when it comes up. I appreciate any answers!

Edit/Note: I thought I should clarify. I'm not a business/company yet. I've iterated this in my business plan, but I'll originally develop the game (possibly only to prototype stage before continuing so that I can place the game under a name - harder to steal) and then create a business around that game so that I can sell it, before finally extending that into a company (if it does well enough, otherwise I will probably repeat the process)

Important: I'm mainly looking for marketing books, and other informative sources, now. Specifically information on advertisement and sales. I'm putting this here because I'd rather not make a double post, appreciate any answers smile.png

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

Advertisement
See if you can find a copy of Secrets of the Game Business
Edited by Francois Dominic Laramee
Paperback - 338 pages (March, 2003)
Charles River Media; ISBN 1-58450-282-7.0

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

See if you can find a copy of Secrets of the Game Business
Edited by Francois Dominic Laramee
Paperback - 338 pages (March, 2003)
Charles River Media; ISBN 1-58450-282-7.0

Thankyou, I had my eye on that one. I'll see if I can grab it.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

Free and very interesting online reading if you can spare the time:

http://www.pixelprospector.com/business

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-marketing-guide-for-game-developers/

I don't have any specific books to recommend, but I have read a pile of them.

My recommendation is to pay a visit to your local library, check out five or so, and read them. Then return those five and get five more. Many books will reference other books. Make notes of the references, and add those to your library queue. If they are recommended highly enough but you cannot get them at your library, ask your librarian to get a copy or order it yourself.

Repeat until you run out of books on the topic.

Thanks!

I don't have any specific books to recommend, but I have read a pile of them.

My recommendation is to pay a visit to your local library, check out five or so, and read them. Then return those five and get five more. Many books will reference other books. Make notes of the references, and add those to your library queue. If they are recommended highly enough but you cannot get them at your library, ask your librarian to get a copy or order it yourself.

Repeat until you run out of books on the topic.

Unfortunately with the project underway, I don't have the time for such an extensive method. Still, it is something to keep in mind so I appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement