Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lurking

Newbie Engine for Newbie Game Programmers!

Currently, i have been thinking about writing a simple engine for newbie game programmers who want to write games not engines. For the most part the engine will be coded in C++ and with VC++. Are there alot of game programmers that would like to see this? This will be designed for a persons first game. Are there any features that you would like to see in it to make it easier for newbies? Nothing to advanced please. I would like some input if you have any ideas please email me at: lurking@mercurytree.com or post here! Thanx! - Lurking

-input from mouse and keyboard
-sound
-loading routines for sound and bitmap files
-routines for drawing/blitting primitives
-[pixelperfect?] collision detection (at least 2d)
-double-buffering
-text/font rendering engine
-particle FX
-masked blits, full and partial transparency
-isometric engine
-camera objects 2D
-file handling routines for load/save game features
-gui
-etc.

If you pack all these features into a nice, well commented and documented, easy-to-use, efficient, free, open-source library all coming generations of future game programmers will worship you.
Now to be realistic for a start a DirectX wrapper (hiding all the COM stuff and initialisation and so on[took me more than a week to get my first DirectX prog running]) including some additional features like bitmap-to-lpdirectdrawsurface7 loading routines, sprite rotation, 2D-Primitives, simple 2D collision detection and basic text rendering would be nice.
Although imho Micro$oft could include (at least some of) these features in DirectX to make our lives easier, don''t you think?

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

quote:
Original post by Profus
If you pack all these features into a nice, well commented and documented, easy-to-use, efficient, free, open-source library all coming generations of future game programmers will worship you.

Until the underlying APIs change and break the library.

quote:
...a DirectX wrapper (hiding all the COM stuff...)

What COM stuff? You don''t need to manually obtain a COM interface (functions like Direct3D8Create and Direct3D8::CreateDevice handle that for you already). The DirectX C++ API already wraps most things for you (and D3DX wraps more).

quote:
Although imho Micro$oft could include (at least some of) these features in DirectX to make our lives easier, don''t you think?

They did (at least most of them). It''s called the D3DX library.

Engines aren''t all that. They''re hardly ever flexible enough to accomodate the varying intentions of different programmers, but since newbies usually want to program the "standard" genres like an FPS, an RPG or a side-scrolling shooter... g''ahead.

@Lurking: You didn''t
@Oluseyi: Yeah you''re basically right about "the COM stuff" but when I wrote my first DirectX App it almost scared me away. As for the D3DX you''re right aswell, I was thinking about the DirectDraw, DirectInput and DirectSound libs only when posting the above.

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."