How to start my game career?

Started by
1 comment, last by lanpeaktrans 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey all,

I have done a lot of game text localization for a couple of years, but I don't know about game development at all. A month ago, I came across an opening in a publisher and now become an English-speaking project manager in the company. My duties are to communicate and coordinate with our foreign partner, a leading producer in Europe, on the game project, so my work now is quite simple as send and receive emails, translate them between English and Mandarin Chinese, and do some other needed translations. But I want to learn more about the industry and become, if possible, a professional in some field.

I am learning from some industry forums and blogs, gathering terms, communicating with programmers in my spare time. But sometimes I am still confused about how could I break into the industry. What kind of professional can I pursue in the industry? Can anyone here point a direction for me?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

I am still confused about how could I break into the industry. What kind of professional can I pursue in the industry?

Localization Manager is a valid job in the game industry. What city/area do you live in?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Localization Manager is a valid job in the game industry. What city/area do you live in?

Thanks for your kind advice. I am in Hunan Province, China. Yeah, I think I can go for a localization position, but I don't want to end up with this kind of position in my career. I have done translation/localization work for over 5 years, and I want to learn something new now. Is there anything suitable for me, one without any knowledge about programming or art? And I am planning to become a competent project manager in future. What should I acquire first?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement