• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Round Robin

Making Your First Game Is Only 7 Steps Away

This topic is 1126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Hello and Welcome the the forum!

I really don't think that the name of the article reallly matches it's content and the expection of the users.

PS.
Eexcuse me that I've accidentally downvoted your post.

"So follow this step by step “Dive into the gaming industry” manual I prepared for you and let me know how it went."

And then he goes on to tell people to download a finished sample project and explains how to build for Android and Install the game on an Android handset... and that is the full tutorial. Simple, yes! Useful, not so much... 

You just got 1% of what goes into creating an Android game, now lets go back to step -109, which is the actual start of "How to build that sample project you just downloaded and pressed build for".

Lets restart and be more constructive:

- What exactly is the purpose of this blog post? Clearly the most important thing for newcomers to learn is NOT how to click the build button and install an APK on their devices?

- What is up with people still believing in the "loosing weight in 7 simple steps" or "learning C++ in 21 hours" scam? Okay, even if they do that, why go with that click-bait title?

If you really want to target game dev newbs, I think you should rethink your manual there. If you think you have to deal with the short attention span type of audience, take shortcuts (for example start with an example project, that part is good), but show them how to ACTUALLY USE Unity instead of trying to fake a simplicity that isn't there...

Yes building for different platforms is just a button click away... and we all know how well that will work without platform specific optimizations. Besides that small fact you haven't shown the newb actually much to get him started in the Unity editor.

- What about asset importing?

- What about using the Scene editor?

- What about the Game mode, about the stats and game testing?

- How about explaining the basics of the editor that are not as intuitive as Unity would like people to believe?

Anyway, if you are serious about it, good luck. Hope you rework your tutorial, because there is certainly room for another GOOD tutorial for beginners.

Edited by Gian-Reto

What exactly is the purpose of this blog post?

it looks to be content for a software services website.

i was about to say that perhaps this topic more properly belongs in announcements.

it seems to almost fall into that gray area between "info" and "promotional info".

The problem with this "tutorial" is that you didn't really teach anyone anything, other than how to export the finished project. When doing these types of tutorials, you need to ask "what should the target audience learn?" Since you want to give a general idea of how game development works, you need to go over the fundamental aspects from sprite creation, programming, testing, debugging (perhaps purposely make code not work as intended and fix it in another stage of the tutorial), polishing, and, after many hours of hard work, publishing. There's also a matter of knowing how to use the game engine, and teaching what the audience needs to know about the game engine. 

I can't really see this blog post as a tutorial because it don't go over any of that. All it teaches is how to download sample assets and publish; that would be fine, if that was what you intended. If you want to do these beginner-friendly tutorials, you need to be a lot more in-depth with how unity works, how to program in C# or JavaScript (depending on your preference), and the steps to building a game from the ground up. Also, try to limit sample assets to just the sound effects and sprites, meaning no components, no scripts, no pre-built scenes, just the default editor when starting a new project, sound, and imported sprites (it's counter-intuitive to teach someone by giving them all the answers). 

What exactly is the purpose of this blog post?

it looks to be content for a software services website.

i was about to say that perhaps this topic more properly belongs in announcements.

it seems to almost fall into that gray area between "info" and "promotional info".

I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt that this might be more than just click-bait filler content. Lately there are so much GOOD "promotional" blogs out there, guys blogging about their projects and tools, but giving other people valuable information while doing that, this blog post looks pretty halfassed in comparison.

You want to drive people to your website with a blog? Make sure you give out valuable information and entertain people with your blog, and people will flood your website (and hopefully also drive some business your way).

Edited by Gian-Reto

7 Steps? Pff, i beat that anyday.

3 Simple steps to get rich make a game:

1. Have EPIC idea!
  2.  ???
  3. Profit!

(Sorry, I couldn't find the 'blink' setting for the font.)

/sarcasmoff

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!