• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
five1mon

DX12 GPU video decoder

This topic is 978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey

I need to decompress several videos in parallel for in-game content. Preferable the input format should be as compressed as possible while the decompression process doesn't consume too much processing power. So using the GPU seems like a good idea. This need to run on all vendors of PC and XB1. So I don't want to use any Nvidia or ATI specific solution. It also need to support DX12 so I can't use Media Foundation or any closed source API that is based on DX11.

Does anyone know of some open source project or demo/sample I could look into? Preferably I would like something that works straight out of the box or some code that's well contained enough so that it's easy to port to DX12. Big plus as well if it comes with no fees for commercial use.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Well you can always try to use a shader decoder tongue.png
Since ALL DX12 GPUs are SM 5 capable, you can also have some fun with CS 5.0... But I never tried writing a shader decoder, so I am not aware of the issue you can encounter (I can guess GPU stalls, hazards, throttling etc...)..

Let me just clarify. I don't expect to gain any particular decoding power from DX12 but since the rest of the engine runs DX12 it has to be that way.

Sure using CS seems like a good candidate.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!