"fleet training" another word needed

Started by
8 comments, last by wodinoneeye 8 years, 5 months ago

The game is 4X, you have several fleets and you can "train" those fleets to be better vs ships of a specific race. A fleet can be trained vs up to 2 opponents and it gives +X% to damage vs that race ships. You can change the training anytime (to another race) but it starts at +0%. In addition you have "military doctrine" which is global and adds +10% to all fleets vs a selected race.

I'm not very fond of the "training of the fleet" phrase. I'm not saying it absolutelly has to be changed, maybe just the descriptions? Anyway, I wanted it to be something non physical (no equipment, no modernization, no weapon). Something like training, tactic, software on targetting computers, etc.

Here are some texts from the game (tooltips and descriptions):

(trainings)

"Select a new training:"

"This fleet has been trained to focus on weak spots of %s.\n+%.2f%% damage vs %s\nBonus increases +1%% per turn up to 25%%\nEach fleet can focus on two enemies."

(doctrine)

"High fleet command declared %s as the primary enemy and adjusted the military doctrine to beat them.\n+%.2f%% damage vs %s\nThe doctrine can be changed once per era (during audience)."

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Maybe tie it into expert personnel and intelligence and/or science somehow? Intelligence as in spies and stuff. (The idea being that the advantage is because of specific knowledge about this race)

So.. something like "Assign Intelligence Officer/Experts" or "Assign Xenobiologist" or something along those lines?

Then it also makes sense that the fleet lose their advantage when the expert or team of experts is assigned to another fleet.

(Troops doesn't just forget training because they got other training, plus, training takes time, moving personnel is quick)

sounds like you added a fleet training mechanic (probably because it occurred to you or you've seen it in another 4x, and it sounded cool - a natural reaction), but have yet to determine exactly what its supposed to be modeling. and now you have to come up with something believable, to explain the existence of the game mechanic and why it works the way it does.

pretty much the reverse order of how i design things.

no offense, but sometimes its makes me laugh or at least crack a smile, the way you seem to keep doing this.

ok, so, just what should it be modeling? well, knowledge of mill ops in general will help there.

so it produces a bonus vs certain opponents, but is not based on some other game mechanic such as weapons upgrades, personnel assignments, etc.

a few things come to mind:

1. tailoring tactics/strategy/operations to a specific opponent type

2. code breaking operations vs a specific opponent type

3. (automatic) espionage and/or R&D efforts which translate to the desired bonuses. tweaking sensors, disrupting enemy "automatic R&D bonuses" with espionage (you don't actually have to model enemy R&D bonuses vs two other factions, unless you want to get into that depth).

as for the terms, "maneuvers", or "training exercise", or "running a drill" are commonly used. these would apply to fleet actions that improve tactics , strategy, and operational methods vs a specific foe. its would take time, cost fuel and ammo, and a handful of casualties from accidents and such.

other things that come to mind include: sensor | guidance system | ECM + re-calibration | adjustment | refit

or do it this way:

why should a fleet get a bonus vs two specific factions?

training is the obvious answer. just chalk it all up to continual training programs that concentrate on tactics, strategy, and operational procedures vs specific foes.

in the real world, the USA vs Russia would be a different sort of war than USA vs China, which would be different from USA vs Syria, which would be different from USA vs N Korea. each would require different strategies, tactics, and operational procedures.

just imagine fighting in Finland vs fighting in Saudi Arabia, VERY different battlefield conditions, each providing unique challenges in training, equipment requirements, and logistics operations.

next time you add a rule to the game, you may want to ask yourself why first. that way you don't have to come up with the "why?" later to explain the rule.

and needless to say, if "why" doesn't make sense, the rule shouldn't go in the game at all.

doesn't apply in this case, targeted training makes perfect sense, just make sure the mods are reasonable (5% - 10% max), and not too Monty Haul.

i'm discovering that when you build a game where a lot of stuff mods things (provides bonuses), its best to make the individual bonuses very conservative, perhaps even slightly under powered. keeps things in balance. things have an effect, but nothing affects anything too much. and percentage based vs hard coded bonus points seems to work better for bonuses. that way you can change the underlying points, but the bonuses remain balanced.

i'm dealing with the same thing in Caveman 3.0 now. things like how much skills, tool type, tool and part quality, stats, and god relations should affect the time required and chance of success for actions like gathering resources, researching skills, and making things.

of course, specialized training could be a double edged sword. history shows again and again that such training in peace time is typically geared towards winning the last war, not the next one. as a result, such "training" has often been a penalty rather than a bonus, once hostilities commence. in other cases, the training may have been for a totally different kind of war, again causing a penalty until tactics and methodologies are changed to suit the new battlefield environment - the USA in Vietnam and Beirut and Iran (the failed hostage rescue attempt) come to mind.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Maybe tie it into expert personnel and intelligence and/or science somehow?
The buttons will be on the military interface section, so intelligence/science would be confusing. It should be more connected with the military.

sounds like you added a fleet training mechanic (probably because it occurred to you or you've seen it in another 4x, and it sounded cool - a natural reaction), but have yet to determine exactly what its supposed to be modeling. and now you have to come up with something believable, to explain the existence of the game mechanic and why it works the way it does.
No, I know exactly the purpose (mechanic) it's not modelling anything. I need it in order to reduce player's freedom in fleets placement (soft-forced to use specific fleets on specific borders and make it highly unoptimal to mix units from different fleets).

no offense, but sometimes its makes me laugh or at least crack a smile, the way you seem to keep doing this.
:)

why should a fleet get a bonus vs two specific factions?
Gameplay wise reason. It will provide the most interesting choices to the player due to the nature of the map and aliens placement and front width and number of fleets available.

just make sure the mods are reasonable (5% - 10% max), and not too Monty Haul.
In order for this to work I need a reasonably severe "penalty" for using wrong fleet vs wrong target, so +25% (the game would be balanced assuming you have the full +25% during a typical defensive fight). Otherwise the player would just dump together all nearby ships.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I'm not sure if naming is all you are looking for, but in the real world we tend to call these things "exercises".

For example, see the recent US <-> Canadian "task group fleet exercises".

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I'm not sure this feature is really needed. But that said, I think I'd go with Specialization. Most D&D nerds will grok it right away, and the idea of specializing a fleet against a certain target makes a bit more immediate sense to me than the words training, or exercises.

Gameplay wise reason. It will provide the most interesting choices to the player due to the nature of the map and aliens placement and front width and number of fleets available.

no, i mean, from a "what do i want to simulate?" standpoint.

so its really in there for play balance, and now you need to "justify" it with a believable description.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

had to jump offline for a minute there...

In order for this to work I need a reasonably severe "penalty" for using wrong fleet vs wrong target, so +25% (the game would be balanced assuming you have the full +25% during a typical defensive fight). Otherwise the player would just dump together all nearby ships.

no, i'm not saying change the mechanic, just make sure its balanced, perhaps a bit on the conservative side, since its a "fleet wide" type of effect.

But that said, I think I'd go with Specialization.

that brings to mind M.O.S. Military Occupation Specialty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_occupation_code

Specialization is definitely another good candidate term for possible use.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

no, i mean, from a "what do i want to simulate?" standpoint.

so its really in there for play balance, and now you need to "justify" it with a believable description.

Exactly, I have the mechanic and it's, well, quite needed to enchance gameplay & balance, and now I look for a justification/description.

tactical enhancement

may be training (and concensus of tactics) and/or equipment optimization

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement