• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Funkymunky

Map a UAV Buffer?

This topic is 975 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I create a UAV Buffer, I do so by calling CreateCommittedResource with D3D12_HEAP_TYPE_DEFAULT and D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_UNORDERED_ACCESS.  In order to load this buffer from the CPU side first, I had to create it with D3D12_HEAP_TYPE_UPLOAD and D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_GENERIC_READ.

This makes sense, but it seems strange to me that there's a flag specifically for unordered access that I'm not using.  I mean, I also set D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_UNORDERED_ACCESS when creating the buffer, but I'm still concerned that I'm doing something wrong.

Does this jive with the proper way of making a UAV buffer that I can load from the CPU side and then read/write in a compute shader?

Advertisement

You should be creating two buffers. The first is in the UPLOAD heap and marked as GENERIC_READ, this is the one you fill with data from the CPU. The second buffer lives in the DEFAULT heap type and starts life in the COPY_DEST resource state. You then get the GPU to copy from the "upload buffer" into the "default buffer" and transition the default buffer to the UNORDERED_ACCESS resource state afterwards. Once the GPU has been known to have finished the copy operation you can reclaim/delete the upload buffer or use it again for another upload.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!