Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a_insomniac

[java] JAVA Doom Clone !

You know working in the industry sucks when you program in one language at work at home in another...that has been my dilema...I make a living coding VB (and I hate it) but I love C++ and thats what I code my games in. Well just to throw a monkey wrench in the whole scheme of things...those intelligent (Project managers) overheard around the water cooler that JAVA is the secret language christ left behind....so you guessed it....(switch)...ahh I hate that the markets sucks right now. (end rant)... I had been dabling in JAVA and sort of left it alone for personal reasons because I was strengthing my C++ skills so I stopped all together. Now that I have to pick it up for work...I decided the best to learn was to try and write a few games I did in c++. And to my surprise after being dismayed from a few articles that left JAVA for dead I found a little doom clone...check it out..its kinda cool. So for those of you who may have been like me and didnt think the language could produce some cool stuff...this is for you Morph http://www.brackeen.com/home/scared/

I was like you before I started programming in Java full time. I was doing C++ work, and thought Java was just a "nice diversion" but couldn''t program real apps. But now, after having worked at a few different companies doing Java development, I have to say that Java is a very impressive language. I love programming in C++, but Java does so many things well as far as design and implementation. The things that are simpler in Java are simpler because they SHOULD be, not because someone said "hey, we can save time programming if we do this...". I find that Java object-oriented design is more elegant than C++, and the way objects work together, i.e. reflection, inheritance, etc... is extremely powerful if put in the right hands. Java allows you to focus entirely on design and abstraction and methodology. In C++ half of that time is spent figuring out what order to put the preprocessor directives in. Our "water-cooler" discussions at work now focus on what the best interface design is, whereas before they were about how long it took us to find that one array reference that was out-of-bounds and that one stray pointer. Not that either discussion is bad, but it''s just an observation.

Microsoft knows about the future of languages too, which is why C# is in existence. It''s too bad that C# is being pushed only for the .net platform, because in many ways it has improvements over even Java and is native for Windows applications. Windows desktop apps could definitely benefit from powerful, non-buggy designs that C# could give it.

Would I go back and work with C++ full time? Definitely. I''m not saying anything negative about C++ or VB or any other language -they all have their place. But people shouldn''t dismiss Java - the principles it represents are good for software development. But, of course, since this is the Java forum, I''m sure everyone reading this agrees with me anyway and would sell their house just to program one more Java interface, right?

Michael

mjacobsca <---- In regards to the 'Games' I have written...nothing much to write home about, maybe I will upload them for you, I am proud of the two mods that I was in though...one Half-life and the other Serious Sam.

Currently Im working on a project with team emersive...you can check that out http://robotech.emersive.com

Regardless, I have to tend to agree strongly with you about your JAVA comments. It is a beautiful language and very very clean, I do like it alot (now).
Once you learn JAVA you should have a full grasp of OOP and OOD which would help you in any language or pre-design situation.
Do I miss C++ (hell yeah) its my first love. Will I still code in C++...sure. But If I can pull off some of the things I got going on in my head and the extention of JAVA continues...who knows, I might just covert %100...(sike)
Hopefully JAVA 3D will take off and develop to compete on the level of Direct X and OpenGL or some really decent wrappers will be made to provide the same capabilities for each. There may be some already but I havent delved into that side of it....yet.

Morph

BTW --
Jcreator is an AWESOME compiler...I read the thread about all of the compilers you guys in this forum use and for wanting to just start up an app and just code...Jcreator is the way to go!
I have Jbuilder 5 Personal and was turned off when I first got it...too much even for a simple System.out.println("Hello World\n"); program

Edited by - a_insomniac on November 16, 2001 7:26:02 AM

Morph, thats fantastic and 1.1 to boot! Want to give any 1.1 3d graphics hints to a guy whose dying to make a space flight/trading game....

this is where Im at so far, would rather it be 3d though.

http://www22.brinkster.com/mbowles/site_applets/spacegame/Applet_2.htm

all one line of course and give it a minute to load after clicking the login button (a ship will appear in the center)

-Soulice

I had dabbled in Java a few years ago... when it was the latest, greatest, buzz word. And I absolutely hated it. At the time it was slow, annoying and buggy when it came to Swing and/or Applets. This was before the 1.1 release. So I dismissed it as a fad and went back to my C programming.

Now, I''m glad I''ve given it a second chance. Much faster and much more stable. I''m still not really an applet fan, and there are still alot of poorly written apps out there that don''t work to improve my view of it. However I have found a few good applications that have shown me that Java, as well as the programmers (for the most part), have matured with the time. Thankfully the amount of buggy, ugly, useless applets has dropped, and the number of serious programmers has increased. If it wasn''t for both of these facts, then I would have never considered giving Java another chance. But as I said, I''m glad I have.. though, of course, I still love my C, Java makes it a little easier for me to write and test my programs on either of my Windows, or Linux machines.

-- Never monkey with another monkey''s monkey.