You can't join a team if your a designer.

Started by
12 comments, last by The new guy 22 years, 5 months ago
It''s not even a case of personal respect; it''s professional capacity. If you, as a designer, don''t at the very least understand the programming process, you may very well ask for something that is impossible. Of course, if you interact with your programmers a lot, you may be able to bounce ideas of off them and keep yourself to the realm of the plausible. And it''s the same with artists.

A designer needs to have at least a passing familiarity with virtually all of the skills necessary to create a complete game: programming, artwork, modeling, animation, sound recording/music, etc. Just the facts of the game.
Advertisement
what is a designer ?
do you want to design the software - the rules - the basic idea ?!?!?

I mean, you could join a team as a writer and design the story of the game - is that the same as designing it ?...

Learn the basics of project managment and go from there, let a very good programmer be in charge of the programming part, a good artist makes the modeling and such and a musician makes the sounds, a writer makes the story, a webmaster makes a website, a actor acts the voices ... and so on ...

Designing a game is a team effort if the game is a proffesional one.
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
it is hard to get in as a designer. Level design is a related field and have entry level jobs, so maybe you should go for that. Oh and when I was a newbie it was my compiler that was wrong. Fortunately it was so wrong that I knew to get another one. It wouldn''t let me put classes in headers!
Thanks for the replys, I have started learning programming again and got a new book and I've started doing art stuff as well. I think mahee is right because I've just reading a few "game design" artices and the say "PLAY LOTS OF GAMES". Well I'd better get back to learning programming, bye

Edited by - The new guy on November 16, 2001 4:08:17 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement