• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
return0

Android NDK C++ crash reporting

This topic is 1115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, was wondering if anyone here has managed to get crash reporting working for Android apps using the NDK. I am using the HockeyApp SDK to try to get a stacktrace from a C++ app using Google breakpad. It seems to work great for some devices (samsung, asus), but doesn't work for other vendors. Interested to hear if anyone has got it or anything similar working - maybe crashlytics or similar?

Advertisement

what do you mean by carsh reporting?

logcat always throws error and tells you even in which function it occured, along with other data

I mean live deployed crash reporting from NDK crashed in apps that users have downloaded from Play store.

A common tool is Google Breakpad to parse minidump files and send them to a remote service, then use the unstripped debug symbols to get a useful trace. This is what HockeyApp does, for example. Mozilla have their own equivalent for Firefox.

I've been experimenting, and can get good traces from some devices, but for others the dump looks weird - it appears truncated, as if it's not got all the stack frames from my app lib at point of crash. Was wondering if anyone had ecountered similar?

I've released an Android game recently without having put much thought into crash reporting systems.

I've found that Java crashes (or unhandled java exceptions) are being caught and reported by Flurry (not something we particularly intended, we'd only plugged in Flurry for analytics).

Crashes in our C++ code are reported very well through the Google Play developer console (crashes appear quickly and symbolicated). It's much better than iOS's built-in crash reporting, which never seems to report anything at all because you have to wait until the same crash happens on the same version of iOS dozens of times before it'll show a report). I guess we're only seeing crash reports from users who have ticked some box to allow crash reports to be sent, but we're getting plenty through and I don't feel the need to use any third-party service.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!