• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
taby

OpenGL Phong versus Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion (with source code)

This topic is 1112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

The first one (I'm assuming it's Phong) looks better, but why not combine both?

PS: Dat Windows Live Messenger tho...

Thanks for your opinion. Yes, it would look good combined.

¿Porque no los dos?

Hey, spanish guy !

Multiply them together

We have to say it's not physically correct to multiply them because it's an ambient value but it's the common trick to multiply after the lighting.
That will result to have the ambient occlusion visible even if the zone is lighted but it's an artistic value.
Edited by Alundra

We have to say it's not physically correct to multiply them because it's an ambient value but it's the common trick to multiply after the lighting.
That will result to have the ambient occlusion visible even if the zone is lighted but it's an artistic value.

Yeah but nothing about SSAO is physically correct, it's an aesthetic hack. What we want is hemispherical occlusion applied to a GI light contribution, but here in the real world...

I'll give it a shot. You're welcome to help. SSAO is a beautiful tool; is a GPU hog.

Edited by taby

Yeah but nothing about SSAO is physically correct, it's an aesthetic hack. What we want is hemispherical occlusion applied to a GI light contribution, but here in the real world...

Was gonna say this. AO is a hack, SSAO is a hack of a hack.

I quite like the one on the right. I think the highlights look better on the left but the darker areas look better on the right. Which I suppose is their respective strengths. The right one makes the various features stand out more in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!