How to start creating games?

Started by
7 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 4 months ago

Hello,
I decided to make a game, but i don't know how start. I don't really have any experience in it at all.
I just started c++ and I don't know much about programing.
Could you suggest where should I start, what steps should I take?

Advertisement

I recommend you start with the FAQ.

After that you might have more specific questions we can answer :)

Hello to all my stalkers.

I recommend you start with the FAQ.

After that you might have more specific questions we can answer smile.png

Would codecademy do for learning the languages?

You only need one language at first :)

If codeacedemy floats your boat then yes by all means, anything that works for you is good.

You have to know the language to get started, but you only really start to understand a language once you start actual programming with it. You will do the latter a lot longer than than learning the language.

Something else that will help immensely is setting aside some time each day to work on it. Maybe not something crazy like 4 hours a day starting out, but at least about 30 minutes to an hour should help get the habit formed and visible progress.

Once you get comfortable with the basics it's nice to pick something simple and work from there on your own. This is so you are able to teach yourself how to learn new programming topics, and so later on you can get that warm fuzzy feeling from the progress you have made.

Each thing you make should always be a bit more challenging than the last, but not too challenging so you do not get discouraged.

Something that I know helped for me and may help for you deals with tutorials. If a tutorial provides example/working code always retype it, don't just copy and paste it. This way when yours breaks but theirs works you have to go line by line to compare. This helped me learn what the code was doing if I didn't entirely understand, but more importantly trained my eye to spot mistakes and typos.

Good luck! smile.png

To create a game, you will need to have a sincere desire to do so. A sincere liking for games.

If you have seen a chef who hates food or a muscisian who hates music, then you may find that they do much worse than the amatuer who enjoys those things.

Ask yourself why you want to create games, and the more positive your answer, the better you will do.

After you feel comfortable with C++ make a text game or pong. But make sure you know the basics of C++ and elementary programming first.

edit - if you're going for pong look into sfml.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Thank, you all, for you sincere answers!
Sorry if i wasted your time!
I will keep doing my best.

And i think I'll leave this topic open so i might get other advices.

Have a good day!

Nope, we don't think helping new game programmers is a waste of time, in fact, we'd like to help :)

At this forum, topics normally stay open to allow continuation of the discussion if someone wants that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement