Unity or Unreal?

Started by
28 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 4 months ago

What's your eventual goal or goals? Do you want a job in the industry? Do you want to make your own games for money? What kind of games? From what I know which might be out of date now is that high performance networking code is in C++. In your other thread you mentioned an MMO right? If so you're interested in high performance networking code. If your eventual goal is an MMO and you are goal oriented then it would make sense to go the C++ route, unless you want to learn two languages.

I did mention an mmo. But it will turn out to be just an ORPG since I don't have the finances to supply a 20000 player server I will have about 400-500 online AT THE MOST. The game isn't too complicated but it will have some complicated assets these include:

• low poly (but stylish) 3D Graphics. Examples (I did not create these) Example 1, Example 2
  • First Person capabilities
  • PvP system
  • the ability to create a factions with base/city building (not complex, just being able to place walls, doors etc.)
  • Steampunkish/industial revolution theme with muskets, rudimintary pistols, steam power, flying and regular ships (will only be able to pilot) while also being able to create medieval weapons like swords, maces, mauls, battleaxes, waraxes, etc.
  • some guis for the stuff I have listed but some will use commands as well.
  • Limited creatures (I.E No taming, riding etc.) just used for small resourses
  • Only crafting will be that for metallic items you will have to be close to a forge and the same for other items in the same manner.

So thats what I have so far and thats what I want to create.

Oh, I remember that second example... The guy taught me how to make birch trees biggrin.png

Still, try pong for a change. Use C# and Monogame, or C++ and SDL (Since you want an mmorpg)

What will you make?
Advertisement

Sorry I had confused your's and another thread... you wanted to make something like Ark survival.

the ability to create a factions with base/city building (not complex, just being able to place walls, doors etc.)

Could you describe this in more detail? Are you saying you want people to be able to create there own occupiable buildings? And this is a first person camera right?

Hmmm if so maybe someone with experience with Unreal and/or Unity can chime in on how to implement customizable buildings and performance implications. If you don't get an answer here ask on the forums dedicated to Unreal and Unity. The reason is that that might be something non-trivial you have to implement yourself. The number of draw calls you use per frame can be an issue and customizable buildings would require a workaround.

Anyway once you have that sorted out use that to choose Unity (C#) or Unreal (C++) to pick which language you should learn. Unless of course you are willing to learn more than one language then choose whichever for starting out. SFML which I mentioned before also has C# bindings so you can learn that for use with either C# or C++. One thing you might want to get an head-start on is the math involved in game (3d game) programming. Also get a good grasp on whatever language you choose and "the basic logic of programming" before you jump into actually making a game. If you choose the Unreal C++ route then you also might be able to learn blueprints at the same time as programming. Look for tutorials on the official Unreal forums and youtube (and google of course).

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

What's your eventual goal or goals? Do you want a job in the industry? Do you want to make your own games for money? What kind of games? From what I know which might be out of date now is that high performance networking code is in C++. In your other thread you mentioned an MMO right? If so you're interested in high performance networking code. If your eventual goal is an MMO and you are goal oriented then it would make sense to go the C++ route, unless you want to learn two languages.

I did mention an mmo. But it will turn out to be just an ORPG since I don't have the finances to supply a 20000 player server I will have about 400-500 online AT THE MOST. The game isn't too complicated but it will have some complicated assets these include:

• low poly (but stylish) 3D Graphics. Examples (I did not create these) Example 1, Example 2
  • First Person capabilities
  • PvP system
  • the ability to create a factions with base/city building (not complex, just being able to place walls, doors etc.)
  • Steampunkish/industial revolution theme with muskets, rudimintary pistols, steam power, flying and regular ships (will only be able to pilot) while also being able to create medieval weapons like swords, maces, mauls, battleaxes, waraxes, etc.
  • some guis for the stuff I have listed but some will use commands as well.
  • Limited creatures (I.E No taming, riding etc.) just used for small resourses
  • Only crafting will be that for metallic items you will have to be close to a forge and the same for other items in the same manner.

So thats what I have so far and thats what I want to create.

Oh, I remember that second example... The guy taught me how to make birch trees biggrin.png

Still, try pong for a change. Use C# and Monogame, or C++ and SDL (Since you want an mmorpg)

Not to be nit-picky Im not going for a massively online game since that would be troubling to finance but Im going to code pong and simple games first for practice then maybe after I learn c++, code a couple of simple games, in a couple months I will start my ORPG ;).

Sorry I had confused your's and another thread... you wanted to make something like Ark survival.

the ability to create a factions with base/city building (not complex, just being able to place walls, doors etc.)

Could you describe this in more detail? Are you saying you want people to be able to create there own occupiable buildings? And this is a first person camera right?

Hmmm if so maybe someone with experience with Unreal and/or Unity can chime in on how to implement customizable buildings and performance implications. If you don't get an answer here ask on the forums dedicated to Unreal and Unity. The reason is that that might be something non-trivial you have to implement yourself. The number of draw calls you use per frame can be an issue and customizable buildings would require a workaround.

Anyway once you have that sorted out use that to choose Unity (C#) or Unreal (C++) to pick which language you should learn. Unless of course you are willing to learn more than one language then choose whichever for starting out. SFML which I mentioned before also has C# bindings so you can learn that for use with either C# or C++. One thing you might want to get an head-start on is the math involved in game (3d game) programming. Also get a good grasp on whatever language you choose and "the basic logic of programming" before you jump into actually making a game. If you choose the Unreal C++ route then you also might be able to learn blueprints at the same time as programming. Look for tutorials on the official Unreal forums and youtube (and google of course).

So basically with a carpenters table you can craft a "wall" in which you can equip it look where you want it to be placed and place it (look at Arks building creation and you will see what I mean). But I will follow your steps for learning c++ (Im going to go the unreal route because of the blueprints) Also do you know a good way to start learning blender modeling (sculpting, extruding, rigging etc.) Also If I have any problems implementing these features I will look to forums and/or Unreal's Blueprints.

Also do you know a good way to start learning blender modeling (sculpting, extruding, rigging etc.) Also If I have any problems implementing these features I will look to forums and/or Unreal's Blueprints.

Use blueprints where it makes sense to, they won't perform miracles.

I have a few pdfs on Blender I've downloaded (found them on google), youtube has a bunch of tutorials, and blender is on Steam now in case you didn't know and there are tutorials available (for a price).

Unreal 4 is open-source.

Nope it is not. For such an engine you would need to get Torque 3D MIT an engine running on Linux and Windows PC. Read more here.

That is an open source game engine.

UE4 offers you the source code and the game engine as a tool as long as you agree upon the UE4 license. An open source game engine under the MIT license demands nothing and you are free to use the tech as you wish.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Also do you know a good way to start learning blender modeling (sculpting, extruding, rigging etc.) Also If I have any problems implementing these features I will look to forums and/or Unreal's Blueprints.

Use blueprints where it makes sense to, they won't perform miracles.

I have a few pdfs on Blender I've downloaded (found them on google), youtube has a bunch of tutorials, and blender is on Steam now in case you didn't know and there are tutorials available (for a price).

Ok thats good I will check them out on youtube.

Unreal 4 is open-source.

Nope it is not. For such an engine you would need to get Torque 3D MIT an engine running on Linux and Windows PC. Read more here.

That is an open source game engine.

UE4 offers you the source code and the game engine as a tool as long as you agree upon the UE4 license. An open source game engine under the MIT license demands nothing and you are free to use the tech as you wish.

Yes your exactly right. Unreal 4 does not use an open-source licence. Its entire source is available however to anyone who will accept the Epic Games license unlike Unity.

Updated my original post.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

In all honesty, I think that you are setting yourself up for a failure. But if you still do believe in yourself, you definitely should chop your project into smaller pieces, and work on one piece at a time.

-For example you could create one type of a game, where you can just put trees or structures down on a map, and later on evolve that to a world editor.

-Secondly you could do a small game like pong that works as a 2 player game over a network. Eventually you could learn about how to create a multiplayer game and apply these things into your online game.

Surely these should be split even in smaller tasks, but the idea is that like jigsaw puzzle you start putting it together from edges piece by a piece and maybe create some islands of area then merge some islands together and eventually you'll have your whole picture finished.

Also when it comes to engines, you could just toss the coin to determine if you should use Unity or Unreal, other wise you might end up spending next 1 to 2 years pondering if Unity is better or if Unreal would the best choice. Just choose one and stick with it. Although I do personally think that Unity is more suited for low poly things, since Unreal doesn't seem to be optimized into low polygon things.

-Secondly you could do a small game like pong that works as a 2 player game over a network. Eventually you could learn about how to create a multiplayer game and apply these things into your online game.

This is a really good idea for a second pong project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement