• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Getting height on infinite landscape.

This topic is 883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone,

I am doing infinite procedural landscape in my game engine and I've stuck with one problem.

For example, every chunk is 512x512 size and has local coordinates ( 0....512 with different x,z values ) AND information about its placement in the world: m_chunkPosX and m_chunkPosZ.. 

So, HOW can I convert camera position to chunk's local space ( 0, 512 ), so I will be able to use the following method to get correct height:

// X and Z can be only local space ( 0.. 512 ), but my camera can be everywhere!!
inline float GetHeightAt( int32_t x, int32_t z )
{
      return m_mapData[ z * m_iChunkSize /* 512 */ + x ].y;
}

Thanks!

Edited by NekoCode

Advertisement

for any grid you need to compute 4 bounding points of a grid (corners) then its simple

you project  vector (from A to CAM) onto both side sides,[A,D] [A,B] you calculate the resulting points and then use distance function to get percentage of the distance from A then you multiply that by corresponding grid dimension.

dddddddd.png

for x coord:

Project RED_LINE on BLUE_LINE -> get position -> CAM_VEC_X_POS (vec3)

int x_coord = (distance(x, cam_vec_x_pos) / distance(A,D) ) * 512'

how to calc B C and D? dont ask me if grid was supposed to be axis algined then its simple if not its more complicated and i dont know
Edited by WiredCat

Thanks for help!

I am trying to figure it out by the method you suggested me, but I also have finished it in different way: drop a ray to the landscape chunk!

float normalRay = dot( vNormal, vRayDir ); // vRayDir in current case is a vector down ( 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f ).

if( normalRay > 0.0f )
{
                          float fDistance = (dot(vNormal, vOrigin) + D) / NdotR; // D = -dot( vNormal, vTriangle[0] );

if( fDistance >= 0.0f && fDistance < fMaxDistance ) // fMaxDistance in current case is 1024.0f
            {
                vOriginOut = vRay * fDistance + vOrigin;

return IsInside(vOriginOut);
            }
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement