• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
william123

The future of education

This topic is 1107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there.I'm new here.
These days I come up with an idea. A game that help you learn any topic. I mostly borrowed the idea from the site other.
I want my game to on a server and to be interactive.
I have a little background in c++, java and html.
I need some opinions as how to structure the soft. I am aware I have to learn languages from scratch and that it might take me years.
Even so.
My hope is as I get some work done, people will join me, as I want to make this project free for everyone.
Thank you.

Advertisement

Are you sure you are ready for writing this thing for real?

What I mean is, you may want to head over to "Game design", and go into more depth about the game itself, how it is played, and how it accomplishes its goal.

As for the real thing, you will need to write an application at the server side, that receives HTTP requests, and gives a response in the form of a web-page, image, document, whatever. You can do that in any programming language mostly, pretty much every generic language has a few dozen web server frameworks or libraries you can use. I wrote one in Python.

At the client side (ie the web browser), I don't have any experience, but the minimum is 'nothing', if displaying just html pages is enough. If you want a more interactive experience, people tend to use javascript, as far as I know (but never done that).

It may be useful to make something small scale first, so you can try out the idea, and tune it.

The approach should be to finish the game at 75%, whichever language you want so C++ and java are fine, only then you start to build the back-end structure, because it depends from game to game.

As my day job is developing web applications I would have to ask, would this be better written as a web application?  Web applications can be more accessible, and if you really need a desktop application you can implement a slim browser leveraging Chromium or something similar.  

I'm not sure what level of interaction you are looking for here, but you can certainly provide a lot of rich interfaces, animation and graphics through a web browser.  Then you have the benefit of using existing web server tech and web application stacks that already exist for languages such as C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Javascript etc...  You would primarily focus on Javascript and CSS for user interaction and animation, which again there are libraries to help you out.

There are still certainly challenges learning these libraries and/or languages but I do feel the learning curve may still be less steep then putting together a C++ server/client application and education game at once.

Some links for you in case you are interested... cool.png

Back End Stacks (Your server)

Front End Libraries (In the browser)

Either way best of luck with your project! 

Edited by shinylane

Very true, I've even worked for a company that had a successful product similar to this.  

I will say this though, don't let someone else's implementation of your idea discourage you from trying.  If you are aggressively trying to make money on a product, you may want to consider a different approach using a professional product team (requiring capital of course).  

If on the other hand you just want to make this game and iterate on it over time with or without a community, then you only have time to lose.  You will certainly learn a lot and possibly provide a contribution for those trying to learn (education is a good cause).  In other words, every idea has been thought of and most of them have been attempted as a product, this does not directly imply you can't have success with a similar product.  Just my 2c on the matter, take it or leave it :)  

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!