Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much more?

This topic is 5869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As most of you can tell by my recent posts, I am new here, and new to game developing. I have completed an introduction to programming design using C++, and programming C++. I''ve read several books about C++, and started on one about OpenGL. I have no idea how to work with matrices, vectors, normals, and the physics stuff. Should I now start taking advanced mathematics classes in addition to my programming classes to be a productive game programmer? Do I need to know this stuff to be able to modify an existing game engine to suit my needs? How do I go about changing an engine? What I need to know is, what now? Do I keep on taking progressively more advanced C++ courses? Do I need to take a data structure class?

Hi,

In my opinion programming is only a tool to get the result you require... therefor it would be a wise descision to learn something about complex 2D/3D math (and the like). I have been programming for several years now and only recently I learned about complex math stuff... in my opinion math helps very well with programming games.

That is my advice... learn
1: Math
2: Programming
3: Software engineering