Questions regarding how did you manage school

Started by
17 comments, last by Ovicior 8 years, 3 months ago

So, I am from India and I am studying in a government school. Anyone from India knows that when they hear *government schools*, it's a synonym for schools with 3rd class teachers, 3rd class management and outdated teaching techniques. So, that's why all of the students go for so called "tuitions" but they're shit too anyway. I don't understand anything in chemistry there and I am planning to leave that class. I need your help. Can you please share your experience on how did you learn stuff while you were in school? Did you go to tuitions (or extra classes) ? When did you learn stuff? Did you use the internet for learning? What do (or did) you do when you don't (or didn't) understand stuff?

Advertisement

I dropped out of high school and did not attend college.

The end.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Most of my programming experience came from working on my own projects using the internet as a resource when I didn't know how something. I have seen plenty of programmers graduate with a CS degree at my university but were incapable of writing anything larger than a few hundred lines of code. A good degree with certainly help you get in the door in an industry but actual skill in your field, imho, is what matters most.

My current game project Platform RPG

Well, it's not about programming. It's about how did you prepare for your school exams. I don't wanna waste 3 hours a day of my life going for tuitions.

Mostly I looked at example questions and solutions, either from the textbook or from past exams that our professors gave us.

Mostly I looked at example questions and solutions, either from the textbook or from past exams that our professors gave us.

Did you had anything like extra classes or just school?

There was no internet when I was in school, not the way you know it anyway. The super cool kids would have a V32bis modem when I finished school, and the less cool kids had... dunno... something worse. Internet as it was available before my 2nd year at uni was basically Usenet, via uucp. NCSA Mosaic came out some two years after I left school, a year later Netscape, and yet another two years later Internet Explorer. Internet became available at uni around that time, at home it was super expensive, near unaffordable.

I learned programming reading books, then trying and failing, starting around 1980 with BASIC and SC-43177(A) assembler. 68k around 1984, C around 1988/89, then C++ in 1995. All trial and error.

School was... a nuisance. Boring, annoying. Exam preparation, zero. Passed OK anyway (not outstanding, but OK). As for chemistry, I was "lucky" because our chemistry teacher died during the first year and we didn't get a replacement, so I didn't have chemistry.

Which is of course just great if you later study medicine, which requires you doing chemistry and biochemistry, with exams in both. Luckily, they have MC at uni, so I cheated my way through the chemistry and biochemistry exams by guessing correctly (no joke, you can really pass a MC exam while knowing zero!).

Nope. I went to lectures, labs, and "tutorials" (which were a required part of the course), but I almost never went to professor or TA office hours. Most of my studying was just me and textbooks.

There was no internet when I was in school, not the way you know it anyway. The super cool kids would have a V32bis modem when I finished school, and the less cool kids had... dunno... something worse. Internet as it was available before my 2nd year at uni was basically Usenet, via uucp. NCSA Mosaic came out some two years after I left school, a year later Netscape, and yet another two years later Internet Explorer. Internet became available at uni around that time, at home it was super expensive, near unaffordable.

I learned programming reading books, then trying and failing, starting around 1980 with BASIC and SC-43177(A) assembler. 68k around 1984, C around 1988/89, then C++ in 1995. All trial and error.

School was... a nuisance. Boring, annoying. Exam preparation, zero. Passed OK anyway (not outstanding, but OK). As for chemistry, I was "lucky" because our chemistry teacher died during the first year and we didn't get a replacement, so I didn't have chemistry.

Which is of course just great if you later study medicine, which requires you doing chemistry and biochemistry, with exams in both. Luckily, they have MC at uni, so I cheated my way through the chemistry and biochemistry exams by guessing correctly (no joke, you can really pass a MC exam while knowing zero!).

Here, in India, everything including your marriage is affected by mark sheet. I want to move out of india and that too, apparently, requires me to get good marks. So, I am really frustrated.

Nope. I went to lectures, labs, and "tutorials" (which were a required part of the course), but I almost never went to professor or TA office hours. Most of my studying was just me and textbooks.
So did you spent some hours at home studying? I never want myself to study at home because I've tutions for around 3-4 hours a day + school 5 hours a day. I want to drop chemistry class for that tuition because the teacher is shit and I don't understand anything he says. What do you suggest me?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement