• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Old MMOs on new Windows (10)

This topic is 872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello

I am trying to revive an old game, to try and see if I can get a private server. (This is a hole different topic) 

The game was developed in early 2000s, and I remember having to uninstall Windows Vista to install Windows XP 
for running the clientloader. Can a smart Gamedev, simply install the old clientloader and analyse or do some dev-magic, 
to see what problems occur from simply running the clientloader. Then maybe recognise some 
"event viewer" errors/warrnings to say if it would be an easy mod to make it support Windows 10, 
or maybe it need 200 hours of work, or impossible. With out having the sourse code / non-compiled code (its written in C++) 

Please check also on youtube, to understand what game it is.
Edited by Kimarild

Advertisement
Making a game compatible with a newer version of windows isn't generally something done without access to source code.

Deprecated calls have to be changed and updated. Ways of working have to be revised. Entire parts of the game have to be updated, e.g. directx 7 isn't well tested by driver writers any more and the whole game would optimally have to be rewritten to target directx 11 or similar to keep it stable and compatible with newer systems.

It would take a lot more than 200 hours (multiply by 100) if you don't have a team, or if you don't know the original source like the back of your hand.

Good luck, you'll need it!

Maybe my english is bad, but I am not trying to suggest that someone can mod a game, without access to the source code. 

...but rather is it possible to see what needs to be done, without having access to the source code.

Would a skilled programmer recognice errors/warrings from ie. event viewer and have a clue on what to look for, once he got the source code.

Are there test tools for software written in C++,  that can maybe help identify problems.

...or are there absolute no way to make preperations before having the source code?

I have games that where made looooong before windows 8 came out, and they run perfect on windows 10.

A game that was made to support DirectX7, wouldnt that automaticly also run on computers with DirectX11 etc... 

Edited by Kimarild

There is a slim chance it will work unmodified.  It is possible it could start up and run correctly.

But after that, you wouldn't know until you tried.  

It may fail to start up at all. 

It may start up and then crash.

It may appear to work correctly but then crash on less-common paths through the code base, or be impossible to win because of a subtle breaking change.

It may start but then have serious performance problems. Even though systems are generally faster today, they often are faster at different tasks. Graphics cards and graphics technology has changed considerably; some things that were fast on that era cards are slow on today's cards. 

It may fail on some specific game logic or obscure rules.  That would be more difficult to test because it would appear to work when you review it, but some key functionality may give wrong results or otherwise behave badly.

Due to its age it may have device-dependent or driver-dependent errors. 

With most of these the easiest way to know is to try to run it, then carefully watch the results.  

If there are any problems, fixing them will require the source code and build tools that are working for that old project.  Those will be difficult to find.  Then you've got to fix them, and that can be time consuming.  Effectively the developer must port the game. It is a relatively small port, but it is still work.

Okey....

But what about 

Would a skilled programmer recognice errors/warrings from ie. event viewer and have a clue on what to look for, once he got the source code.

Are there test tools for software written in C++,  that can maybe help identify problems.

...or are there absolute no way to make preperations before having the source code?

I am talking about the clientloader, since thats the only software I have right now. 

You may be able to run the application in a virtual machine which is running an OS version supported by the app. VMs generally don't perform very well for games, but as you want to play an old game the VM performance may be more than sufficient on current hardware.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement