• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Paulo Marcio

OpenGL Rendering UI with OpenGL with C++

This topic is 1054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating an UI API and have a simple question about the UI controls(buttons, textboxes, lists,  etc.) the rendering step must be made along with the game rendering step? or should i render them in a different thread?

Thanks all for attention.
Edited by BMCrazy

Advertisement
You can't actually "render" in another thread with OpenGL.

You may want to do any complex layout logic in another thread and record a list of render commands to playback/submit on the rendering thread as efficiently as possible, though, same as you would with the game itself.

I have a custom UI implemented inside my software, let me try to explain how I work with it...

My UI builder basically takes some kind of file and builds user interface out of it (windows with buttons, etc. etc.). This is all stored only in memory, along with that it has process function that is called upon each input event - and this processes whole active user interface. Nothing of this is rendered and therefore it can be processed in separate thread (of course some synchronization is done as we need to be thread-safe).

The process function is straight forward - each UI is some kind of graph (actually in my case it is always a tree) - you have a 'root' node and nodes under it. On each event (mouse move, mouse click, etc.) you propagate those events through the graph and process each node with it. Upon meeting some conditions you do something. Therefore all the processing is done in separate thread (but beware, sometimes you need to mutex-lock some data - to avoid race conditions).

During the UI initialization (or UI update - in terms that some widget and its children become visible) the widgets are inserted into UI scene instance (therefore UI scene is re-built). A scene on my side is something that holds entities (entity is for example: Light, Camera, Static Mesh, 2D Widget Rectangle, etc.). This scene therefore contains a single camera and UI widgets -> it is rendered inside a frame buffer and mixed together with other outputs (note that it actually needs to be re-rendered only when there are some changes, I'm currently rendering it each frame but technically I don't need to - I could keep it inside a texture).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!